C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadside emission tests?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 04:13 AM
rob75383
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Roadside emission tests?

On the way to work the other day, I came across a sign on the side of the road saying "roadside Emission Test".
I saw at least 2 boxes of equiptment, one sitting in the middle of the road, and one box on the side of the road. There might've been one on the set up for traffic going the other way, but I didn't see it.
There was also a strange utility truck, that looked like a modified chuck wagon, or street sweeper.

Has anyone ever seen a setup like this?

I'm assuming that they're testing the emissions output of the cars on the road, maybe even the DB level. Maybe this is some new epa test??
Old 07-03-2004, 08:10 AM
macx
Instructor

Default Re: Roadside emission tests? ('75 383 ElkGrove)

Just a few years ago I worked in the LA area for awhile,
I seem to remember they had emissions testing something
like that there. It was automatic -you'd drive by the thing
and if it exceeded some figure or other it would get a picture
digitally and the car owner would get a ticket or have to fix it or
something (forget exactly).
Old 07-03-2004, 08:35 AM
nitrocharger
Racer

Default Re: Roadside emission tests? (macx)

if you see one, shut the engine off and coast by it! I cant imagine the equipment can be that sensitive to pick up exhaust as a car drives by and then have enough time to analyze it before taking a picture. What happens if the wind is blowing in the other direction?
Old 07-03-2004, 09:45 AM
ManFromEagle
Instructor

I've seen trafic stops where they checked under the car with mirrors and such to see if you still have cats but I have never seen a road side gas analyser.

I paid for special collector plates in my state so I never again had to go back and get emmisions checked. You are not suppose to mod the car after that but come on now. What we are talking about here is a very low percentage of cars for enthusists.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:24 AM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

They used to run those in Calif. Not sure if they still do. F-ing ****'s!

They would install them where they knew vehicles would have to stop & idle for a little while. They shoot a beam of light across the roadway and can measure particulate matter coming from your exhaust in about 2 secs.

In San Diego, they set them up on the busy freeway on-ramps. During rush hour, our on-ramps are regulated by a stoplight. Only one or two cars can get on the freeway before the light changes. So...you have a long line of idling cars getting their exhaust "sniffed". You didn't get a "ticket" per se, but a notice asking you to visit the nearest smog inspection station. Why would they go through all this trouble when cars were required to be smog-checked anually anyway? REVENUE!

I thank God every day for allowing me to leave Calif. If that place and its politicians, tree-huggers and money-grubbers slides into the ocean, the world will be a better place (of course, after allowing our fellow board members time to escape!).

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

[Modified by 74FLCONV, 11:26 AM 7/3/2004]
Old 07-06-2004, 09:50 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Roadside emission tests? (74FLCONV)

I thank God every day for allowing me to leave Calif. If that place and its politicians, tree-huggers and money-grubbers slides into the ocean, the world will be a better place (of course, after allowing our fellow board members time to escape!).
Old 07-06-2004, 01:15 PM
tom.keyes
Heel & Toe

We have these in Colorado. Looks like another money making scam by the state goverment. I was curious if a really bad smokey joe went by right in front of you would you also get a ticket? What a scam!
Old 07-06-2004, 01:26 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

A lot of places use them. They apparently work to some extent. My guess would be that they would generate a letter for you to come in for testing. The if you flunk or don't show up you are in trouble.

Problem with antique/collector plates and/or age where the car does not have to be tested, that is an exemption from testing to get your plates, it is not an exemption from meeting the emission requirements. The emission requirements are Federal EPA laws and the state does not have the authority to exempt you from those laws. These things are one of the ways you can get caught. The other is a roadside (roadblock) emission test or for someone to file a gross poluter complaint.

tom...

Get notified of new replies

To Roadside emission tests?

Quick Reply: Roadside emission tests?