C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Secondaries won't open

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 06:32 PM
rexx78
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Secondaries won't open

I am still looking at my underpower problem, and I have found something weird.

Forgive me, for I only learning about my Q-jet. Lars' papers have been a great help so far.

If I unhook the accelerator arm rod, there is enough movement of the throttle linkage, and secondaries open. If I hook the rod up on either hole, the primaries barely even open. Is is almost like the pump will not move far enough into the carb. There is a large return spring underneath the accelerator pump.

This is driving me nuts!
Old 07-02-2004, 06:57 PM
rexx78
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Secondaries won't open (rexx78)

I found on one of Lars papers that it may have the wrong accelerator rod installed. How do I find out what the length is supposed to be?
Old 07-02-2004, 07:28 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loosen up your carb mount bolts and see if there is some interferance between the carb and the manifold. There is a bit of movement on the carb when the bolts are lossened. Move it around to see if there is a spot where you can get full movement.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:03 PM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There should be a secondary lock out lever that prevents the secondaries from opening until the choke is 100% open. I would check that and the choke operation.

[Modified by shoptek, 9:03 PM 7/2/2004]
Old 07-03-2004, 02:00 AM
79 vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Secondaries won't open (shoptek)

Old 07-03-2004, 03:22 PM
rexx78
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Secondaries won't open (shoptek)

The carb is currently off the engine, and I have been moving the linkage back and forth with the top both on and off. When I manually fully open the choke, the secondary lockout lever disengages, so I think that works fine.

Once I hook up the accellerator pump rod to the arm that pushes it down, the primaries will only open part way, then it jams. The pump cannot be pushed down far enough into the carb, almost like the rod is too long. I haven't had the car running right since I got the carb rebuilt, and the throttle plate and carb have two different casting numbers on them. Is it possible they put the wrong length of accellerator pump rod on? If I post my carb number, can you tell me what the length is supposed to be?

Get notified of new replies

To Secondaries won't open

Quick Reply: Secondaries won't open