C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running your Reverse Lockout without a cable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 01:01 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Running your Reverse Lockout without a cable?

I'm not sure what happened, but I've been running my reverse lockout without the cable for a couple of years now with no problem. After I installed my steeroids, the lever on the column is now vibrating down while the car is being driven. I now have to pop the hood and move the lever up after each drive before I can remove the keys.

Is there an adjustment I can make to tighten that sucker? I see what looks like a spring in front of it, but I'm not sure of it's purpose. If not, has anyone come up with anything innovative to hold the lever in place? The cable was broken when I bought the car, and I'm not really interested in replacing it, as I find it's purpose to be a little silly.

P.S. It's nice to be back on here. I've been dealing with some issues in my life that have kept me away from the forum. I tried to sell the car, but that got somewhat sabotaged, I won't go into that. I won't bore you with details, suffice it to say, things got worked out and I'm back.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:12 AM
corvgreg
Emerging Vendor

Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

Default Re: Running your Reverse Lockout without a cable? (Steve Straus)

You'll have to prop it in the up position with a spring attached to it or baling wire or you can cut a piece of angle iron and bolt it to the mount so that it keeps the lever from dropping down.
It's harder to describe what to do than to actually do it.

Greg
Old 07-02-2004, 01:39 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Default Re: Running your Reverse Lockout without a cable? (corvgreg)

I just thought of something, I wonder if I jammed a washer in between the lever and the column....

If not I guess I'll just bail it......damn that feels so bubba.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:51 AM
Mr.Gearhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

STEVE! Welcome back. Your car looks great. Sidepipes look really

I have the opposite problem. I want mine to lock and it won't. I can't figure out the issue. Must be something in the column that isn't working properly. Or... must be me not knowing how to engage the locking mechanism....

are you back up this way or still in WV?
Old 07-02-2004, 09:15 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Running your Reverse Lockout without a cable? (Mr.Gearhead)

I think that the following link to one of my papers will describe the steering column/transmission shift interlock concept:
http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/StrgCo...tems13JN04.doc

Good luck,
Jim
Old 07-02-2004, 11:50 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Default Re: Running your Reverse Lockout without a cable? (Jim Shea)

Tony: Thanks! I'm still in WV. I still work in Reston though. Did you get that hood painted yet? I noticed you're doing a Frame off, what an undertaking.

Jim: I think you posted those for Tony, but I'll take a look at them regardless.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:07 PM
Mr.Gearhead
Burning Brakes

Steve-
Yeah.. frame off just kind of happened. You know it was that hood that spoiled me. I was thinking- " Damn this hood is nice. Maybe I should redo the motor while I am pulling the trans so it all looks great!" Yeah... right. BIIIIIIIGGGG job, but fun and sometimes frustrating. Glad to hear you are doing well. The hood is up on my third floor wrapped in blankets for safe keeping. And yes.. it is still Corvette Yellow.. hee hee

Thanks for posting the interlock doc. Mabe I can figure mine out tonight?

[Modified by Mr.Gearhead, 4:07 PM 7/2/2004]
Old 07-07-2004, 11:34 AM
Tiredol74
Intermediate

Sorry bout delay in reading your post. For two years been using a piece of bent coat hanger to anchor lever in place to nearby in-line projecting bolt on firewall with extra nut as temporary fix. Make sure lever is in desired position first. Consult Jim's paper if not sure.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:21 PM
bhawk
Intermediate

I held my lower column lever up for 15 years with a spring attached to a suitable bolt near by. However, by holding the level in one position for so long, it sort of "corroded" in place and when I went to install a new interlock cable last year, it was so hard to move the lever that the cable bent and wouldn't work. So, I had to remove the steering column this winter, disassemble most everything, clean and regrease all parts, so the lever moved smoothly up and down again. Then I put in the new interlock cable and it works properly. Moral of the story is, periodically move that lever up and down so it doesn't seize in the up position. Paragon has new interlock cables at a reasonable price.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:01 PM
Mr.Gearhead
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Running your Reverse Lockout without a cable? (bhawk)

Steve, I opened my column this weekend. I WANT my interlock to function properly. I found the the bottom detent clip was missing. This is why it will not lock when the key is turned to off. If you were to take the column apart, you will see underneath the key mechanism a brass tooth lever. That lever sits behind a bracket that is notched. Remove that bracket and you lock out will be disabled. Also, just to recycle parts... send that bracket to me... hee hee. Seriously, anyone have this backet I will buy it from you... can't seem to find it anywhere.... good luck.

Also, just unbolt the interlock cable from the transmission.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:02 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Steve, I opened my column this weekend. I WANT my interlock to function properly. I found the the bottom detent clip was missing. This is why it will not lock when the key is turned to off. If you were to take the column apart, you will see underneath the key mechanism a brass tooth lever. That lever sits behind a bracket that is notched. Remove that bracket and you lock out will be disabled. Also, just to recycle parts... send that bracket to me... hee hee. Seriously, anyone have this backet I will buy it from you... can't seem to find it anywhere.... good luck.

Also, just unbolt the interlock cable from the transmission.
I guess I might re-enable mine too, but the part i need is the reverse lever on the transmission. The part where the cable connects to is broken off on mine, so reverse works, but there's no place to connect the cable. I can't seem to find that reverse lever anywhere.

Get notified of new replies

To Running your Reverse Lockout without a cable?

Quick Reply: Running your Reverse Lockout without a cable?