C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'75 Instrument Panel

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 12:03 AM
WalnutRg
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '75 Instrument Panel

None of my instruments work, the fuel, oil pressure, water temp none work, it looks like the original owner did a poopiety job on a frayed wire and caused a short, possibly destroyed all my gauges. The spedometer and the tach also dont appear to be working. When this short happend it blew the fuse in my fuse panel. It is looking like I will have to buy all new gauges because of this, anyway I can check to see if it is the gauges that are not working, im not looking to spend the money on them if I dont have to. Any other possible causes of this? and/or ways of checking it? If gauges are the cause, and can be fixed by replacement or repair where is a good place I can have them sent, or where I can buy new ones?
Old 07-02-2004, 08:58 AM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Default Re: '75 Instrument Panel (WalnutRg)

Sounds like there may be more then one problem. The speedo is mechanical (except for the back lighting) shouldn't have anything do do with electrical problems. I would start with the dash wiring harness and ground wires and go from there. Sometimes you can get lucky and find someone parting out a car and get all the gauges cheap.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:53 AM
502RamjetVette
Intermediate

Will guages from a 77 work? If so, I have a complete set out of my car. Let me know if you need them. D.C.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:59 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

I agree with Big Fish. You should begin testing at the electrical first. Get a schematic and trace the wiring. Could be something as simple as burnt fusible link...... I would seriously doubt that the gauges are all "bad" since the fuse blew....that was it's job and it sounds like it did it.... start checking!
Old 07-02-2004, 01:17 PM
WalnutRg
7th Gear

Default Re: '75 Instrument Panel (KenSny)

Would you happen to know where the fusible link in that wiring harness would be? I looked in a number of my books and didnt find anything other then a description of what they are and what they do, but I have yet to find the location. Or would you know which wires, which places, to put my meter to test the wire to see if it is good or if the fusible link has infact destroyed the wire?
Old 07-02-2004, 08:01 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

The schematics I have describe the fuse links as "THERMO WIRE" and give a size like 16 ga or 18 ga, etc. The links are all located at the bulkhead wiring connector in the engine compartment. There is a main one at the starter as well, but if that were bad nothing would work. Try these people for a schematic if you don't have one already: http://www.lectriclimited.com/
Old 07-04-2004, 12:29 AM
WalnutRg
7th Gear

Default Re: '75 Instrument Panel (Big Fish)

I tested it today for real. The spedometer, and the tachometer both work, it appears that the wires at all good, and it is either the sending units or the gauges that dont work, I found a great price on the gauges I need so I will hope that is the problem.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:41 PM
TheVin
Instructor

i had the same thing, turned out bubba did some wiring,,,I'd take out the gauge console and look at you wires make sure all of the them are connected--also when your in there should check bulbs,,,

Get notified of new replies

To '75 Instrument Panel

Quick Reply: '75 Instrument Panel