C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door wont latch closed

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 09:14 PM
vette75406
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door wont latch closed

When i close the door the latch does not lock around the striker, the handle is still depressed , im sure the latch is just stuck but does anybody have any other ideas , it opened fine until today then it stuck , i have not pulled the panel off yet and dont want to if i can get away with it , my luck it will have to come off.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:17 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Default Re: Door wont latch closed (vette75406)

Did you try lubricating it with lithium grease? That may free it up. I had to replace a latch and its not that bad of a job.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:06 PM
82collectorshark
Intermediate

Try returning the latch to its normal position with a screwdriver and lubing the latch.Try adjusting the striker a bit also.I ended up pulling the panel off and adjusting the rod that attaches to the handle by carefully removing the clip and either legnthening or shortening the rod.Be patient and take your time doing this,if not you will get very frustrated. After I was done the door opens and closes like new with very little effort and no "slamming".
Taking the panel off is no big deal.
Jules
Old 07-02-2004, 12:23 AM
Aflac
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I'd take it out and clean the mechanism totally...not hard to do
Old 07-02-2004, 09:37 AM
77BuffaloVet
Racer

Just fixed this on mine last weekend...Take the door panel off (sorry...it is the easiest way) and look at the mechanism in the top corner right under the door latch. There is a rod that comes down from the door handle and attaches to the mechanism that opens the door latch. It has a bend in it and if it gets turned and there is no lubrication then it sticks. That is what happened to mine. Tap the rod with a screw driver and the door handle should pop up. Then spray the heck out of the whole mechanism with lithium grease. Should not only fix the problem, but make the doors much easier to open.

[Modified by 77BuffaloVet, 9:39 AM 7/2/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Door wont latch closed

Quick Reply: Door wont latch closed