C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help dropping my tranny

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 08:00 PM
dfdsmokeater
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help dropping my tranny

Is it even possible to drop a manual tranny without removing the engine first? If so then how is it done? I've got an oil leak under the bellhousing and i really dont want to pull the motor again....

thanks in adv guys!

1978 L82

[Modified by dfdsmokeater, 1:01 AM 7/2/2004]
Old 07-01-2004, 08:59 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: Need help dropping my tranny (dfdsmokeater)

Yes, it can be done. I did it in an '81 without removing the engine or the exhaust system. It's not the easiest job you'll ever attempt, and you have to hold your mouth just right. The trick I found is that, once you have the trans out of the bellhousing and pushed back as far as it will go, tilt the engine backwards as you tilt the front of the tranny down to get the nose of the input shaft to clear the bottom of the bellhousing. Then tilt the engine forward to slide the trans down and out.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:41 PM
dfdsmokeater
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need help dropping my tranny (LB66383)

Thanks! That is good advice, i really really don't want to have to pull the motor again.

this may be a dumb question but i cannot seem to get the rear drive shaft off, any suggestions here? Until i get that off i can't move the tranny at all!
Old 07-01-2004, 10:14 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: Need help dropping my tranny (dfdsmokeater)

It's not too bad. The shifter and shifter bracket need to come out. Driveshaft too of course. Disconnect the trans from the bellhousing, slide it all the way back, rotate it just so and you can get it back far enough for the input shaft to clear the bellhousing. Tip the front down and out it comes. Took a couple hours to drop mine.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help dropping my tranny

Quick Reply: Need help dropping my tranny