C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you double check my shopping list to see if I missed anything?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 11:52 AM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can you double check my shopping list to see if I missed anything?

OK, I had the 427/4-speed drivetrain, exhaust, and wheels stolen out/off of my '69. The only thing left in the engine compartment is the brake master cylinder and power steering pump. I'm now in the process of researching for the rebuild. Can you let me know if I missed anything major and how these components work as a unit? I'm obviously not worried about NCRS...

Already have a '68-dated 427 built up (in original trim)
Keisler TKO-600 conversion and Lakewood bellhousing (how about clutch, linkage, and associated?)
Dewitts aluminum drop-in with dual Spals (are hoses a problem?)
Jet-Hot Hooker side exhaust with JCL spirals
Energy Suspension poly mounts
Stage 8 header bolts
OE coolant overflow tank
Wheels Vintiques 17" billet ralleyes (series 90)

Anything I'm missing or mis-chose? How about MSD or electronic ignition?

I'm pretty new to this, so any help is greatly appreciated. My dad used to be my help, but he's gone now. This was his car (It was all-original when he died. bastards broke into his garage afterward and stole his stuff), so now I'm charged with rebuilding it to best of my ability. He was a power freak, so I think he'd approve of the Hookers. One of his engines is running 7.5@180+ in the 1/4 in a 55 Chevy...

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 07-01-2004, 11:58 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Can you double check my shopping list to see if I missed anything? (CGGorman)

The best thing you can do is get a factory assembly manual and a few Corvette parts catalogs. There you can see exploded diagrams and see all of the little parts you'll need for each sub-assembly. The clutch linkage alone has quite a few pieces....I am sure there are lots of things you won't even know you need until you see a diagram. Also, the diagrams would help you a lot in re-assembly, since you don't have the old parts there for an assembly reference.

I think you'll be fine with stock style hoses on your new radiator, but you might want to go to some type of electronic ignition just for the added reliability and ease of maintenance. I am sure MSD or an GM HEI would be fine. You can use your stock tach with a tach drive MSD or converted GM HEI, but you'll have to get an electronic tach or have yours converted if you use a non tach drive HEI.

There are going to be LOTS of little parts that you don't know you need yet.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:33 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Can you double check my shopping list to see if I missed anything? (A C)

Like was already said, the factory AIM manual is avalible in re-production, Corvette Central catalog (good exploded drawing assembly pictures with proper names for components), and Paragon Production Corvette parts catalog, and I really like Dr Rebuild for rubber parts (hoses, vacuum lines) over the other suppliers.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:07 AM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Can you double check my shopping list to see if I missed anything? (Solid LT1)

Great tips. THANKS!

Factory assembly manual...check!
Dr. Rebuid...check!
Eventually, I plan to do Shark Bite coil-overs (or similar) in front and a composite setup in back. I'm used to the Lincoln's handling and I'm quite sure the '68 won't meet my standards since my sister's '85 coupe can't keep up with the Lincoln in the corners. Though I appreciate the vintage handling characteristics, a little improvement can't hurt!
I'll probably switch to a Torsen diff at that time, as well.
My goal is to make a daily-driver that only gets driven on the weekends. I've got the Lincoln for my daily commute. Reliability and quality is king here. I want to buy the best and don't mind making changes under the skin. The LAST thing I want is to have to worry about getting it running if I let is sit for a week or two between drives. It'll be covered and garaged, BTW.

What's the word on good brakes?
Old 07-02-2004, 10:11 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 387 Likes on 235 Posts

Default Re: Can you double check my shopping list to see if I missed anything? (CGGorman)

What's the word on good brakes?
If you want a good set of brakes I'd look into a set of C5 rotors and caliber. Not only will the stop better, but also drop a lot of unsprung weight as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Can you double check my shopping list to see if I missed anything?

Quick Reply: Can you double check my shopping list to see if I missed anything?