C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Fan Operation

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 08:54 PM
Karfever
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Clutch Fan Operation

I need some advice relative to clutch fans. My car is a 69 350/350 with four speed and A/C. To me the clutch fan is engaged too much of the time, such as rpm over 2000, speeds over 30MPH etc. Is this normal? Is there a test procedure which would help? If I have a bad clutch, what would be a good replacement and source?
Thanks for the help!
Old 06-30-2004, 09:19 PM
Aflac
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Clutch Fan Operation (Karfever)

sounds like it's locking up like it needs to....the only time its bad is if you shut the car off and it still spins a bunch...or if the liquid has came out of it...
Old 06-30-2004, 09:22 PM
Mr.Gearhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To test a thermostatic fan clutch, start the engine. The fan should slip when cold; as the engine warms up, the clutch should engage. Air should begin to flow through the radiator and over the engine. You will be able to hear and feel the air when the fan clutch locks up. If the fan clutch is locked all the time (cold or hot), it is defective and must be replaced. Excessive play or oil leakage also indicates fan clutch failure.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:11 AM
fst_c3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guy that rebuilt my engine told me to buy "GM fan clutch only". Cost a little more , but it does seem to be working better and longer than the others I've used.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Fan Operation

Quick Reply: Clutch Fan Operation