C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Asked before but then i was gone. transmission rebuild kits.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 04:14 PM
munday
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Asked before but then i was gone. transmission rebuild kits.

car won't go more than 1 mph or so in forward gears under throttle. just revs up. car still takes off fine in reverse. i think someone said i lost my clutchpacks or something. Will this fix that?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=HUP-HP3288K&N=120 4294925134 4294925133 304589

[Modified by munday, 8:06 PM 6/30/2004]
Old 06-30-2004, 05:05 PM
munday
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Asked before but then i was gone. transmission rebuild kits. (munday)

Old 06-30-2004, 11:57 PM
munday
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Asked before but then i was gone. transmission rebuild kits. (munday)

anyone?
Old 07-01-2004, 04:30 AM
rob75383
Pro

Do you have any experience rebuiling a transmission?? If not, I'd suggest you pull the tranny out yourself, and haul it to a good trans shop. I wish we had an automatic tranny guru on the forum
One of my earliest lessons I learned with my 'vette was- without a proper diagnosis of what the problem is, 9 times out of 10, throwing new parts at it wont fix anything, and will only make your wallet lighter, and your hair thinner.
I'm sorry I couldn't give you more info, but I'd suggest you either link this thread, or post a new one in the general corvette topics/engine mods section. There's a bunch of hardcore guys from all generations there that might be able to help out.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:01 AM
TLChydraulics
Instructor

Well, it looks like a real complete kit, but you should do something with your converter also (replace, or have it checked and flushed), and replace or rebuild the pump, and none of this will fix a throttle-body if it is bad. Also, if you've never done one, they are a pretty big and complex job... I have done 2 th-350, 2 th-400, and a 700r4, and would do any of them again, but I rebuild hydro-static transmissions, hydraulic pumps, valves, etc, every day and figured how hard could it be? Well it still wasn't easy, but I did it with just a rebuild book teaching myself. If you do it.... KEEP your parts VERY organized and spottless clean.

Good luck,

BTW: that kit is a performance kit and is a little pricy, if all you want to do is rebuild, you can get a complete kit at a napa or other parts store alot cheaper, probably 1/2 that price.

Loren

[Modified by TLChydraulics, 4:08 AM 7/1/2004]
Old 07-01-2004, 08:27 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Asked before but then i was gone. transmission rebuild kits. (TLChydraulics)

TLC, maybe you know, about 3-4 years ago ATSG had a very nice website that layed out the complete book on recommended mods to a 700r4 in order to get it to live, and was very specific about how/what.....

since the company was bought out, they want 400 some odd bux/year and you better be IN the tranny business for that information, which is NOT in their books widely available....all those books are is a reprint of the tranny section of the factory service manuals....nice, but useless with regard to mods.....I remember seeing recommended drilling of say the input shaft or some intermediate shaft, and how to fit those plastic seals, and so forth...

IS there another source of that kind of information???

BTW, it was much more extensive than anything in a mear kit.....of any kind...

GENE
Old 07-01-2004, 11:18 AM
munday
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Asked before but then i was gone. transmission rebuild kits. (mrvette)

yeah i have never rebuilt a tranny before. i do know someone who can do it i guess. need to talk to him. i imagine the gears are still good, the converter is new.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:33 PM
vette75406
Instructor

you can call 251-471-5846 and ask for andrew , he can set you up with all those parts in the kit even the same parts for less than half the price,the company is USAmatic , tell him James told you to call , if your builder has the unit apart let him call , he will know exactly what you need to do the repair .
Old 07-01-2004, 03:47 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are mechanically inclined (can remove tranny no problem),
then you can rebuild it, too. I did my TH400 a few years back.
It was my first. No problem. I used a similar kit - B+M TransKit.
You can get the parts cheaper - yeah. However, the TransKit came with
good instructions and the parts to do several levels of shift kit.

I also would recommend the Haynes book on TH350,400,200-4R.
It has lots of pictures, which was helpful when the B+M picture wasn't as clear.

Oh - and as mentioned above, the most important things to do are to keep
everything in order - and clean (and keep clean) the old parts.
Another tip: Use paper towels - not cotton rags. Cotton fibers can get caught
and clog passageways. Paper tends to break up and dissolve.

Good Luck !!

PS - mine had the same symptoms. It had run low on fluid. I stopped and
added fluid on my way to work. Well, when lubricated - my worn clutch discs
did not grab much. I limped home at about 5MPH and 5000RPM. You should
have seen the looks I got. I didn't think to try reverse.

[Modified by NHvette, 4:01 PM 7/1/2004]
Old 07-02-2004, 03:17 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Found this site today....pretty good prices too...

http://www.bulkpart.com/
Old 07-02-2004, 03:43 AM
TLChydraulics
Instructor

Default Re: Asked before but then i was gone. transmission rebuild kits. (mrvette)

(mrvette) yes, I spent the money back when I did my 700r4 for the books. I will look at them tomorrow and maybe copy them into a pdf file or something. I do know this, if you want to build a "good" 700r4, you will need a 1988 or newer trans. The older ones are nowhere near as tough! they have a date code stamped on the edge of tranny at back right at the pan. Or you can visibly look at them and the "tough" 88 or newer has a rainbow looking cast across the trans that goes next to the cooler line ports. I do remember that one mod is to pull the 3-4 shift ball out of the valve body to allow full pressure to the 3 and 4 shift to prevent slip and clutch burn.This mod is recommended for ALL 700r4 rebuilds as the lower pressure for the 3-4 shifts is a known issue with them causing premature death. Originally it was set up that way for a more comfortable shift, but caused too much slippage. Maybe tomorrow night I'll be able to E-mail the mods or complete books out.

Take care,

Loren
Old 07-02-2004, 03:49 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Asked before but then i was gone. transmission rebuild kits. (TLChydraulics)

Loren,

Put me on your list, I wanna read the info you have too....
Old 07-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Asked before but then i was gone. transmission rebuild kits. (Desertdawg)

Loren,

Put me on your list, I wanna read the info you have too....
Old 07-17-2004, 11:43 PM
munday
Le Mans Master

http://www.bulkpart.com/cgi-bin/miva...ry_Code=350rrk

which do yall suggest. I am guess the red with the kolene steels.

I have hopefully around 500 lb/ft with my stroker + I am adding 100 shot with the NXpress.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:08 AM
munday
Le Mans Master

TTT check the post above me.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:45 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1547844129

Get notified of new replies

To Asked before but then i was gone. transmission rebuild kits.

Quick Reply: Asked before but then i was gone. transmission rebuild kits.