C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of 17" billet ralleyes from Vintiques?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 01:54 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pics of 17" billet ralleyes from Vintiques?

I'm looking to buy some in the near future and would like to know how they fit and look. Is this a good product/company?
Old 06-30-2004, 11:47 PM
Rottenrob
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Pics of 17" billet ralleyes from Vintiques? (CGGorman)

TTT here's a boost for you/ I know I've seen these wheels posted on a personal ride here before a number of times...
Old 07-01-2004, 01:08 AM
terryrudy
Drifting

I have the heavy steel version but look a little similar.
-terry

[Modified by terryrudy, 10:10 PM 6/30/2004]
Old 07-01-2004, 09:04 AM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Default Re: Pics of 17" billet ralleyes from Vintiques? (terryrudy)

THANKS!! That's the look I want. I do wish they had trim rings, though. The offset look right and I like the additional tire width. The section height is a nice compromise at 17", I think. These vintage cars can start to look "wrong" with today's ultra-performance profiles... Although, I've seen some mighty nice looking 18" and 20" here! I think I'll stick with 17"...the tires are waaay cheaper.

Any complaints about quality or fit problems?
Old 07-01-2004, 07:04 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I have plans for these myself.

[Modified by PROSOUTH, 6:05 PM 7/1/2004]
Old 07-02-2004, 02:13 AM
Disco_Mike
Race Director

Default Re: Pics of 17" billet ralleyes from Vintiques? (terryrudy)

I have the heavy steel version but look a little similar.
-terry

[Modified by terryrudy, 10:10 PM 6/30/2004]
Sharp! Ill have to keep these in mind!
Old 07-02-2004, 02:05 PM
1971corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 84 Posts

I checked 8 wheels from Wheel Vintiques .talk about **** poor Quality .
Run out was as much as .035 ,talked with them on the phone,and ended up getting hung up on.I would not deal with them,nor will I recommend them.
I ended up with a set of boyds,and am very pleased with the wheels.
Good luck in your choice
Old 07-02-2004, 02:43 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Default Re: Pics of 17" billet ralleyes from Vintiques? (1971corvette)

Hmmm... Anybody else make a billet or forged Rallye look-alike in 17" dia? No way I'm putting steel anchors on the corners of this glass shark.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:54 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone here special ordered a set with the spokes grayed in to mimic the stock look, gave them much more depth (if that make sense).
Old 07-02-2004, 08:41 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

No problems with fit or quality here. Would I buy them again? Maybe, maybe not. My only complaint is the heavy weight (35 lbs/wheel). Its hard to keep the chrome from rusting too. In my other cars, I have always prefered painted wheels to chrome but these look real nice when shined up. If you do get them, be sure to get the 255/50-17 tires instead of the 255/45-17 that are more plentiful. (if you are into the thicker sidewalls).

Zwede on the forum had some before and he painted the centers with silver paint so they looked like they had trim rings. Maybe the look you want...

Anyway more info from Zwede and myself: http://www.bokonon.net/corvette/newwv.html

-terry
Old 07-02-2004, 10:21 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I was trying to post a picture I copied from a Corvette Forum post when I made the comment above. I have a couple of pictures I saved from that post and will send them to you asap.

As for the **** poor quality of the chrome wheels from Wheel Vintiques I'm not so sure. I learned a lot about wheels from Coker Tire in Chattanooga Tn especially about mounting and roundness. It was a set of wheels my local dealer said were out of round. Coker put the same wheels on my Elky with a set of red lines and they are perfect. Long story and won't go into it here, but a lot of the run out you see is the tire machine they are on sometimes.

The wheels that are be referred to as "**** Poor" though are as everything else, Imported from China I believe. Wheel Vintiques is like everyone else trying to service a large market and importing a portion of there sales product to do so.

The Billet Wheels I have seen are perfect. They are made in CA and made per order, not imported by the container as the chrome ones are. I can't see slamming all of their wheels because of the chrome ones that are imported. I don't like the imports either, so don't take this wrong, and I believe that quality should be first, but try being competitive with the rest of the sales market and before you get an established following you will be broke or starving.

Chevrolet makes Corvettes in BG and imports Geos, should we slam Corvettes because of the imported Geo ?

The billet wheels are expensive and when my Corvette project gets a step or two further I will be more than happy to give you an honest evaluation of them. I will also buy another set of the standard rallys from them for my Malibu as soon as I get around to that project as well. Jim
Old 07-02-2004, 10:49 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Hmmm... Anybody else make a billet or forged Rallye look-alike in 17" dia? No way I'm putting steel anchors on the corners of this glass shark.
Wheel Vintiques makes the aluminum rally wheel but, the center is better than 3/8" thick and when I lifted one at a Good Guys Hot Rod show, I about herniated myself, I would guess they are in excess of 22Lbs for the 17X8" aluminum wheel, their steel wheel may be LIGHTER!
Old 07-03-2004, 02:28 PM
1971corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 84 Posts

this is for (PROSOUTH)

The "**** POOR QUALITY " was made in the U.S.A. by WHEEL VINTIQUES.
I had the tire shop check run out ,then to double check I put an indicator on the wheel myself,got same figures.WHEEL VINTIQUES SUCK ,as does their costumer service.If you like wheels that run out on your car fine,can not see how this helps wheel bearings on a corvette. as I said I went with a set of boyds,run out was no more then .003 Its your money, you want to buy junk that is finn with me,just letting you know what I found out dealing with WHEEL VINTIQUES.

and GOOD LUCK

Old 07-06-2004, 08:58 AM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Default Re: Pics of 17" billet ralleyes from Vintiques? (1971corvette)

I'll order a set of them after vacation and post some pictures. I'll have to take my chance on the quality since I can't find anything else I like! Thanks for the help.

Get notified of new replies

To Pics of 17" billet ralleyes from Vintiques?

Quick Reply: Pics of 17" billet ralleyes from Vintiques?