C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tach ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 11:52 AM
brooksman9
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Tach ???

If my Tach (that has been working) now stays pegged all the way up, is it shorted to ground or is the wire broke going to it. I know my temp sensor did this when it became detached, but I don't remember which way. Thanks
Old 06-30-2004, 05:14 PM
jpatrick636
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Tach ??? (brooksman9)

It must be National Tach Problem Month. I just ran a couple of posts on tach problems and this is what I learned; it is most likely the tach filter. Check out this link http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?&id=849227&postid=1547657090# 1547657090
Old 06-30-2004, 05:15 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

If it is pegged all the way up I would think it is the tach itself that is busted.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:25 AM
ACECO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Default Re: Tach ??? (zwede)

If it is pegged all the way up I would think it is the tach itself that is busted.

When the tach filter goes bad, it's usually in a "open" condition. If this were the case (and assuming the tach itself is OK) then most likely it would just be at zero.

However that said these electronic tachs do have a habit of staying at the last rpm they were at when the power is removed. So assuming the tach was "spiked" just before the signal disappeared, then I suppose it's possible that the filter is open and the tach could be OK.

I suppose the only way to find out is to test further.

Good Luck!

Old 07-02-2004, 05:45 AM
brooksman9
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Tach ??? (ACECO)

Well, went out to start the car today and before I even tried I noticed the tach was back at zero. Cranked it up and it worked just fine. Guess I'll have to save this project for another day.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:26 PM
ACECO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Well, went out to start the car today and before I even tried I noticed the tach was back at zero. Cranked it up and it worked just fine. Guess I'll have to save this project for another day.
As the tach filter is usually attached to the back of the intake manifold, and of course this gets hots during operation, perhaps the filter is intermittantly failing when hot??? If it does it again, you could always try detaching it from the manifold and see if that helps. However DO make sure you ground it somewhere or it will not operate properly.

FWIW. Good Luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Tach ???

Quick Reply: Tach ???