C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help w/ my '74 4-speed shifter

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 12:24 AM
Palengke
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help w/ my '74 4-speed shifter

'74 guys, help me with my shifter. My 1st and 3rd shifts hit the edge of my console shifter surround and makes a dent on it and cuts a hole on my leather shift boot. How do you adjust the shifter to move it back aft of the console to maybe center it on the console surround?
Old 06-30-2004, 12:27 AM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Help w/ my '74 4-speed shifter (Palengke)

You'll need to get under the car and adjust the mounting of the shifter bracket on the transmission crossmember. There are 4 bolts that mount the shifter bracket to the crossmember. Two are mounted on the vertical rear side of the xmember, and two more that go up through the underside of the crossmember and into the bracket. Look in your AIM (Assembly Instruction Manual) to see how it is mounted. If you don't own the AIM for your '74, now is the time to buy one.

Shannon
Old 06-30-2004, 06:28 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Help w/ my '74 4-speed shifter (Palengke)

It is very common for them to hit like that. By using shims as stated above you are titling the entire assebly so if you move it very much you will need to re-adjust the linkage which is not fun unless you have side pipes.

Get notified of new replies

To Help w/ my '74 4-speed shifter

Quick Reply: Help w/ my '74 4-speed shifter