C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Audio System (on a budget) - lesson learned

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 05:42 PM
80TexasC3
"Rodstoration &am p;quot; In Progres
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Audio System (on a budget) - lesson learned

While I'm making my way through my interrior, I've been shopping around for an Alpine / Infinity system for my new toy. Issue is that my interest in a great sounding system is much bigger than my budget.

I first spent quite a bit of time at Ultimate Electronics and mapped out what system I wanted. Then began to shop!

Receiver: Found that Ultimate Electronics was able to search all stores in the area and identify one remaining (LAST YEARs) 9818 with a massive price cut (originally $478... I picked it up for $198). Sure the box is torn but the unit is in great shape with a FULL WARRANTY. Have had to sit on this for a while while I saved and searched for the rest.

Next I focused on the Amp, front component speakers and rear 6x9s. Links below show the store retail price followed by a link to where I purchased it.

AMP (store) $499
http://www.ultimateelectronics.com/s...eyword=mrvf450

AMP (ebay) $270
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

Front Speakers (store) $399.95
http://www.ultimateelectronics.com/s...word=perfect+6

Front Speakers (ebay) $197.77

Rear 6x9s (store) $269.95
http://www.ultimateelectronics.com/s...word=kappa+693

Rear 6x9s (ebay) $122.67

Now... If I apply the logic my wife always trys to use... I just saved about $580!!! Now I should be able to afford another engine upgrade. Right?

Seriously... It's worth the time to shop around and take your time... had a lot of automatic searches going before these finally came on the market...with a seller with a good rating...a good price and no HUGE shipping charge.

Ed

[Modified by 80TexasC3, 5:38 PM 6/29/2004]
Old 06-29-2004, 06:38 PM
80TexasC3
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Custom Audio System (on a budget) - lesson learned (80TexasC3)

OK... now the links work! Finally!
Old 06-30-2004, 06:40 AM
Tele_Man
Pro

Looks like you've really done your homework. Nice going!

I was considering those same 6x9" speakers. Let know how those sound.

One other question... where do you plan to install the amplifier?

Thanks,
-Nick
Old 06-30-2004, 01:29 PM
80TexasC3
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Custom Audio System (Tele_Man)

Will do... Just dropped the center console off at the installer to cut our the DIN. Speaker boxes should be ready next Tuesday and I will rough in the wiring over the holiday. My plan is to put the AMP vertially inbetween the rear 6x9s (against the rear deck). Will be built up so that air can circulate and so that the amp does not mount into metal anywhere.

Downer is that this "added enthusiasm" is going to have my car out of action for another week as I work the prewire.... thought I would be on the road by July 4th. Doesn't look good now.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:48 PM
Tele_Man
Pro

Default Re: Custom Audio System (80TexasC3)

I was also thinking of installing an amp in between my 6x9" box enclosures on the rear deck. However, my idea was to secure the amp, along with both speaker boxes, on a carpeted wood base that would be free-floating. I didn't want to bolt anything into the deck itself and ruin the integrity. I also planned to mount the amp horizontally, not vertically, because that might obscure the rear compartment light.

I'm replacing my carpeting this weekend, so I'll have a closer look at that rear compartment.

Good luck with your project. Keep in touch.

-Nick
Old 06-30-2004, 03:16 PM
kermit1654
Instructor

You look like you have it under control. Alpine and Infinity have great equipment. Where are you mounting the component speakers up front? Also what's going in the dash - A good 4 x 6 component plate speaker works great there.
It sounds like you have the mids and high range frequencies covered very well up front with the components. Can I ask why your going with 6x9's in the back? If you can stand to give up just a little more space you may want to consider switching out the 6x9's for a single or a couple 10's. The 10's would cover the mid and low bass frequencies much better than the 6x9's which are more of mid-bass speaker. Good luck and post some pictures when it's done.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:39 AM
80TexasC3
Support Corvetteforum!

UPDATE...

I was very pleased with the response from both of the ebay'ers that I purchased each item from. Shipping was very fast and shipment received from LA to Dallas in only 2 days.

Believe each runs an ebay store with excellent prices... Unfortumately I don't need any more speakers or other audio items... hopevully this will help someone else on the forum that is contemplating an upgrade/install.

Get notified of new replies

To Custom Audio System (on a budget) - lesson learned

Quick Reply: Custom Audio System (on a budget) - lesson learned