C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm a cheap b@stard, wish me luck

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 04:43 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default I'm a cheap b@stard, wish me luck

I hate spending 600 bucks (plus insane shipping and tax) on flares without having tried to make them myself first. So:

here's my plaster mold, still drying when I type this post, gonna sand it down when dry and layeth the fiberglass on

Marck
Old 06-29-2004, 04:56 AM
Love My 72 and 77
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: I'm a cheap b@stard, wish me luck (Twin_Turbo)

You are a crazy **** I wish I put that much time in my cars!
Old 06-29-2004, 04:56 AM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Kewl.

Just like the hamburger joint ad; You can have it your way. I'm sure that you will be happier having done it yourself than if you bought someone else's design.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:00 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A cheap b@stard? Now there's a man after my own heart! Looking good, good luck with it
One thing I'd have trouble with is getting the radius of the arc even where it joins the body. Every time I did something like that, whether it was in wood, metal, clay, glass, etc, I always got a fairly smooth & even curve, but there'd always be one or 2 areas where it was a bit flat or had a slight hump. Hard to see by eye but you could feel it if you ran your finger around it. And I knew it was there! Got any ideas on how to do it? A length of flexible pipe as a former???
Old 06-29-2004, 05:18 AM
Aussi chev4fun
Intermediate

You are one wild guy with all the best skills . wish I had the time to burn have fun .
Old 06-29-2004, 05:20 AM
StingrayDK
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks very nice

Hey you forgot the tax we pay on the shipping itself
Old 06-29-2004, 05:31 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Default Re: I'm a cheap b@stard, wish me luck (sting74)

I know about the bumps and holes, I'm going to sand them out as good as I can. If the end resutls sucks I can always toss the thing in the bin, then I'll have to spend the big bucks for the ACI flares.

I got an idea on how to get a uniform arc joining the body, just roll some randpaper around a steel pipe of the desired radius, fill voids with glass as much as possible and finish off with filler.

[Modified by Twin_Turbo, 4:35 AM 6/29/2004]

[Modified by Twin_Turbo, 5:27 AM 6/29/2004]
Old 06-29-2004, 06:34 AM
jetech
Racer

Hey twin_turbo

I would recommend a primer followed by a gloss paint over the mold. Then several coats of yellow wax or Johnson's floor wax prior to the layup.

My Dad and I made the cowling for an airplane using this method with West system epoxy except we didn't use any primer or paint and even with the wax we still had some areas that stuck to the mold.

For stiffness you could add Graphite cloth to the first layer or two.

Old 06-29-2004, 06:42 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Default Re: I'm a cheap b@stard, wish me luck (jetech)

Thanks for the tips, that's what I'm gonna do.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:44 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got an idea on how to get a uniform arc joining the body, just roll some randpaper around a steel pipe of the desired radius, fill voids with glass as much as possible and finish off with filler.
I used to use wooden dowelling which works quite well as it has a bit of "give" in it. Best thing I ever used was a piece of round section rubber. It was just the right radius + it could be bent into a slight curve to help get a better finish. I was helping build a yacht & remember seeing a lot of formers & useful tools for sale at a ships chandlers (one of the larger ones that supply to manufacturers). I did see something for sale in Amsterdam that would have been brilliant for finishing off curves, it was tubular, flexible & even had a handle at one end. It looked perfect for finishing off curves, but I didn't think that UK Customs or my wife would believe me - "Er, it's for rubbing down curves in bodywork. And in woodwork, and for polishing metal and...".
For importing stuff from the US it could be worth chatting to this guy: steve@moving-parts.com
He's a C3 owner & works in the shipping industry. He got so fed up getting ripped off on the cost of shipping parts over that he set up his own company, Moving Parts, & by all accounts the service is excellent & the price is very competative. You just ask whoever you buy from to send the parts to his address in NY & he'll do the rest (so you immediately avoid the International shipping rates that some suppliers hit us with).
Old 06-29-2004, 07:12 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: I'm a cheap b@stard, wish me luck (UKPaul)

TT, you mean you couldn't find some flares on ebay for cheap Looks like you're making some good progress with your homemade flares
Old 06-29-2004, 07:45 AM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

That's what I like to see! You are probably just crazy enough to make it work. Keep us posted on your progress, we'll all learn from your project.

Dave
Old 06-29-2004, 08:32 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: I'm a cheap b@stard, wish me luck (Rolling Thunder)

Looks like it will work to me. Just keep it under 150 mph or add some vents in the front.

Nevermind I see it in the picture now. That's the cardboard mold sticking out. Sorry.

[Modified by Budman78, 7:34 AM 6/29/2004]
Old 06-29-2004, 08:35 AM
Frank75
Burning Brakes

Default Re: I'm a cheap b@stard, wish me luck (Rolling Thunder)

Are you going to lay them up in place or off the car? If the latter, you can use West System or other epoxy to attach them - very strong. You just can't go back and use polyester on top of the epoxy.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:33 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Default Re: I'm a cheap b@stard, wish me luck (SmokedTires)

TT, you mean you couldn't find some flares on ebay for cheap Looks like you're making some good progress with your homemade flares
EXACTLY. I couldn't find any and I thought what the hell, I can try this. If it fails it's only a few bucks down the drain.

The board you see is hardboard, not cardboard. Cardboard isn't strong enough. The hardboard is clamped into the wheelwell so it forms exactly to the wheel well. Then I used plaster to fill it up to a shape I want the flares to look like. Still have to trim off the hardboard to the line I scribed on it before putting the plaster on. The shape is curved nicely and that way I can trim it down and get a sharp edge on the fender. Then, when I do the other side I can just make a mirror image on the board. I also scribed the outline of the original wheel well on it, all it takes is scribing a centerline and then mirror both lines by measuring. Swap the board to the other side and position it so it runs with the wheel wel line visible, then add plaster to the same width and height as on the other side.

I'm going to mold the glass on the car. I will tape off the rear quarter so it doesn't stick to it. I have West systems epoxy but I hardly ever use it. I've got far superior stuff from a local boat building material shop that I used on the front clip and for bonding the rear bumper as well. It's rock solid.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:37 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck....[behindthebackvoice]cheap bastard. [/behindthebackvoice]
Old 06-29-2004, 10:43 AM
LOTAHP
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I'm a cheap b@stard, wish me luck (Fevre)

My friend just sold 2 complete flared quarter panel with 12" ralley rims.

How are you going to make the other side EXACTLY the same?

TT, I do not think it's being cheap. You just have "LOTA" *****. (in a good sense)!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To I'm a cheap b@stard, wish me luck

Old 06-29-2004, 10:47 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Default Re: I'm a cheap b@stard, wish me luck (LOTAHP)

getting it exactly the same, that's the problem LOL. I won't bond them on untill I'm absolutely positive they are the same. The shape of the lip won't be the problem because I scribed that on the board and can make a mirror line. The height of the compound curves is the problem, I may make some cardboard profile templates at specified intervals and use them on the other side, then when those fit just profile the curve so it runs smooth.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:03 PM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

looks like a good start.
keep the pics coming!!!!!!!
Old 06-29-2004, 12:54 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Default Re: I'm a cheap b@stard, wish me luck (stingraymaniac)

Started trimming the mold to the desired shape and did some rough sanding to get the shape correct, still need to trim the lower sections some more to get them a bit closer to the stock lines. Don't want mud flaps or at least as small as possible

Heading out to do some more tinkering

Quick Reply: I'm a cheap b@stard, wish me luck