C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Emissions Equipment is removable from the engine Compartment?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 09:36 PM
OneBrokenSmile07
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Emissions Equipment is removable from the engine Compartment?

I have an 81 350 C3 and I'm a little dissappointed at how you can't even see the block when you pop the hood. Im interested in buying a HighRise 360 Degree air filter and a 4 barrel Edelbrook Carb, along with a new intake manifold and Valve covers with a breather valve. But with all the vacuum hoses, wires, and emission Equipment you can't even remotely see the block. My question; Is it possible to remove some of that stuff so you can look in the compartment and say "Hey, an engine!"
Old 06-28-2004, 09:51 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: What Emissions Equipment is removable from the engine Compartment? (OneBrokenSmile07)

Well, that depends, do you have to pass an emissions test in your state?
If so, most - if not all of that crap has to stay.

If not you can ditch the AIR pump and hoses. Just cap the manifolds off with some plugs, or change manifolds to ones without AIR pipes or go to headers.
The EGR can go, but some people keep it. It helps some cars run with less chance of pinging.
Since yours is a 1981, it computer controlled for the timing and mixture. You will have to change out the carb (you planned to already) and the distributor to one that will give you both vacuum and mechanical advance.
90% of the vacuum lines can go once you get rid of the AIR pump, the EGR and the connections to the evaporative cannister. Keep the PCV and a breather and anything that may be connected to the headlight vacuum system, the A/C control system and the cruise control.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:56 PM
80TexasC3
"Rodstoration &am p;quot; In Progres
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What Emissions Equipment is removable from the engine Compartment? (OneBrokenSmile07)

If you don't have to worry about emmissions testing... then all of it.

Get notified of new replies

To What Emissions Equipment is removable from the engine Compartment?

Quick Reply: What Emissions Equipment is removable from the engine Compartment?