C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking Oil Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 08:21 PM
Stephanie
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Oil Gauge

I have been having problems with my radio working intermittantly, occasionally blowing the fuse, stuff like that. Now it won't work at all so I pulled it out to test the wires. The wires are getting power to it, but I notice there is oil on the radio, probably leaked from the oil gauge which is right above it. It ran down the back and into the slots. I think the radio is fried. No point on getting a new radio until I fix that.

How do I get to the oil gauge to check it out and see if I can stop the leak? Any advice on fixing drippy oil gauges?

[Modified by Stephanie, 1:30 AM 6/29/2004]
Old 06-28-2004, 09:07 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Leaking Oil Gauge (Stephanie)

Very common problem. There is a plastic line that runs from the bock to the back of the gauge. Over time the plastic gets hard and cracks or the fittings start to leak. Take out the oil pressure gauge and just clean the back of it with some brake clean. I replace all the lines and fittings in order to get a leak free system. It has compression fittings and if they are reused they can leak. Most auto supply stores will have a kit to replace the line and fittings. Mine has not leaked in 8 years since doing this.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:34 PM
Stephanie
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Leaking Oil Gauge (Gordonm)

First time I've had to do that one. Found the kit for $7 this morning at the parts store and had it installed in about half an hour. The easiest, cheapest corvette fix ever at our house. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking Oil Gauge

Quick Reply: Leaking Oil Gauge