C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb tuning paperwork

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 06:08 PM
SKYCOP1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb tuning paperwork

I know there was a file floating around a few weeks ago about tuning a Q-Jet Carb. I would appreciate it if some one would email it to me. My email address is tkmcates@aol.com.

Also If you would look at my problems below and give some suggestions, I would be thankful.

. Moderate hesitation between 1000-1800 RPM

2. Good pick up as long as you don't open the 4 barrel, If you do open them it pulls great to 3500 but then it stop pulling totally like it is starving or flooding for fuel, when it does that if you let off the gas (to close the 4 barrel) then it continues to pull to 5500 RPM just as smooth as you would imagine.

3. I pulled the carb today and looked at the guts and it looked good just dirtry, cleaned it up and reinstalled. I have to have the idle screws out 6 turns so it will idle in drive and then at a red light it will try to stall after about 2 min or so. So I have to pat the gas a little to keep it running. Is that common to have to turn the idle screws out that far?

4. Before I tried troubleshooting the carb I made sure the timing was set and it was off, I set it 12* at idle and set the advance at 36*.

5. The big (vac. line) line in the center of the carb (at the base) is plugged up cause it was frail and broke when I pulled the carb off, I plan on replacing it, However the car was doing all of this before the line broke.

6. WHAT DO I DO. hahahahaha I had planned on replacing it with an aftermarket, but after I pulled it off and put it back on the 4 barrel started opening again and wow the difference. It wasn't opening before. But when it got to 3500 RPM and it stopped accellerating I was aggravated again. I was always told you can't beat a good Q jet.

I really appreciate you taking the time to look this over. The car is a 1979 L-82, auto. STOCK.... I dont have to have the smog stuff on there If it would make a difference.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:49 PM
GTLocke13
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Carb tuning paperwork (SKYCOP1)

My motor does the exact same thing, and I've got a brand newly remanufactured quadrajet on there. I think the heads on those motors just aren't tuned for high RPM power.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:07 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Carb tuning paperwork (GTLocke13)

e-mail sent

Steve
Old 06-28-2004, 09:16 PM
SKYCOP1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Carb tuning paperwork (stpman)

Thanks

I sent LARS an email, I think I am going to have it fixed by him if he is interested. I looked at some Carters today 150.00 for a rebuilt one. I have heard they are very reliable..
Old 06-29-2004, 11:18 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Carb tuning paperwork (SKYCOP1)

If Lars will rebuild your Q-Jet, then I would go that route. It will run perfectly when he's done with it.

Get notified of new replies

To Carb tuning paperwork

Quick Reply: Carb tuning paperwork