C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The shroud of Zirgo

Old 06-28-2004, 09:51 AM
GATOR454
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default The shroud of Zirgo

I finally finished the shroud for my Zirgo 16" electric fan.

I fabricated a flat piece of fiberglass out of 4 layers of 1-1/2 ounce mat. I made the frame from 1/8" thick aluminum.

In a very un-characteristic move I left the inside unfinished.

Here is a shot of it mounted:

and a shot of the bottom mounting:

here is a shot of the upper mounting on the drivers side.

[Modified by GATOR454, 9:52 AM 6/28/2004]

Last edited by GATOR454; 04-04-2005 at 09:28 AM. Reason: added upper mount detail
Old 06-28-2004, 10:21 AM
Boofers
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: The shroud of Zirgo (GATOR454)

impressive
Old 06-28-2004, 03:48 PM
80TexasC3
"Rodstoration &am p;quot; In Progres
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! You could probably go into business making and selling these on ebay. I see a lot of Zirgo fans for sale out there.

Also... heads up... I purchased their digital temp monitor / switch and it's a piece of c--p. It didn't work out of the box and now they don't want to take it back...

Am going to have to contest the charge on my AMEX to get my money back. :mad
Old 06-28-2004, 05:55 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Very cool, I always like to see people getting creative and fabricating their own stuff!
Old 06-28-2004, 05:58 PM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice! But...is the shroud necessary? The reason I ask is I just installed the very same fan on my car as it came out of the box. So far, so good (I think). How much does the shroud help? My car is a stock SB.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Old 06-28-2004, 06:05 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: The shroud of Zirgo (74FLCONV)

real cool i may steal your idea
Old 06-29-2004, 03:02 PM
GATOR454
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: The shroud of Zirgo (comp)

Thanks for the compliments.

Ed (80TexasC3) Thanks for the heads up. I was planning on just using a temp sensor in the passenger side port (where I removed the TCS sensor).
I would have to take a cut in pay to make it affordable to anyone else. I'm such a perfectionist that it took me way too long to build and paint. At my current rate plus materials it would end up around $500.

Danny (74FLCONV) From what I understand (which aint much) at highway speeds the shroud woud restrict airflow over the shrouded part of the radiator, where an un-shrouded fan would be off when a shrouded fan might still be on. At low speeds the shroud would create more airflow in areas of the radiator that would have little or no airflow in an un-shrouded radiator. Mine will be used mostly in city driving so I opted to shroud it.

Russell (comp) I have no patents, feel free to copy it. The 1/4" of fiberglass fastened to the 3/4" alumuinum angle will give you about 1/4" clearance at the upper A-arm axle. I had to trim back the upper mounting angle at the radiator hose to give enough clearance to get the hose on. I used 2" aluminum ange with one leg cut to 1" (when measured from the inside of the angle) for the top and bottom angle. I cut the fiberglass to the exact size of the radiator core then fit it and cut the notches to clear the upper and lower radiator mounts. Then I built the shroud and test mounted it to the radiator before I cut the hole. Then I removed it and traced the outline of the fan on the fiberglass and aluminum. Next I cut the aluminum angles to the outline of the fan. Then remounted the angles and traced the outline of the cut angle onto the fiberglass then offset the line about 1/4", removed all of the aluminum and cut the fiberglass. After that I reassembled everything and test fit it to the radiator again. Then I took it off again disassembled it and painted the shroud. Fially I put everything back together and mounted it to the radiator. If you have any questions if you build one feel free to ask.

David

Get notified of new replies

To The shroud of Zirgo

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The shroud of Zirgo