C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the heck did I spin out today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 03:13 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Why the heck did I spin out today?

I can't figure this out for the life of me...

I came out of a right-hand turn. Crossed the apex fast, and was letting the car go back into the center lane, slowing down. As soon as I applied the brake, the car started to spin to the left, even though the wheel was to the right. I corrected by gently steering right, then the car oversteered to the right. I immediately cranked hard left and the car skidded sideways to a halt. I was facing about 100 degrees off center to the right at the end.

I checked my strut rods, the jam nut was loose on the inside on the left rear, did not check the outside jam nut. Have not checked the passenger side. Is this the answer?

I'm a bit scared to drive the car, but I will ghetto-check the camber and get the car to an alignment shop this week. Anything else I can check before I hop on the freeway ( ) and head to the shop?

-Steve
Old 06-28-2004, 05:27 AM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Why the heck did I spin out today? (Pacin'California)

When I bought my car it had a bad rear wheel bearing. The problem only showed up in right hand sweeping curves at about 50 MPH when the rear end would try to pass the front. At other speeds everything seemed normal. A couple of weeks after the first experiance the bearing started making noise.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:30 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Why the heck did I spin out today? (1979toy)

I would put the car on jackstands and check every bolt you can see with a wrench to check for looseness before you drive the car again. After reassembling my car I had to tighten everything 2 or 3 times and was amazed at how loose things can get. I even had the idler arm come off the steering valve - luckily in a parking lot going about 3 mph. Just before that I was going down the highway at 70 mph. If something like that happens at speed you will die. Check and retorque anything you can see. Also make sure you replace any cotter pins you remove - don't reuse them!

pm

Get notified of new replies

To Why the heck did I spin out today?

Quick Reply: Why the heck did I spin out today?