C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Column (painting it???)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 12:29 AM
80TexasC3
"Rodstoration &am p;quot; In Progres
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Column (painting it???)

I'm down to the final steps before putting my interrior back together (FINALLY!)

I refurb'ed the steering wheel and console today...nice results... Now need to repaint the steering column. My thought was to stretch a very large plastic sheet accross the car, take into the interrior and pass the steering column through a hole so that it is on one side of the plastic with the rest of the car on the other.

Will then commence using interrior dye/paint to spray a "like new" coat on the column.

Anyone have any better ideas? or experience?
Old 06-28-2004, 09:00 AM
Mr.Gearhead
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Steering Column (80TexasC3)

It sounds like the steering wheel assembly is out of the car? If it is, just paint it your choice. My car is black so I used a regular can of spray paint. IT TURNED out perfect. I wet sanded the old paint to get a good base.

If is still in the car, just remove the driver side dash and tape some lawn trash bags over everthing else. Your car is White so I assume the interior is beige color.... Not sure if the vinyl dye will work on metal??? Remember, the prep work is 90% of the job. Painting is the easy part. Good luck.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:55 PM
80TexasC3
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Steering Column (Mr.Gearhead)

Thanks... am going to read about the dye and see if I can use it. Seems to be hard to find a match to 80 doeskin in something other than interrior dye.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:27 PM
drnerve
Instructor

Default Re: Steering Column (80TexasC3)

I'm going to paint mine while it is still in the car. If you take out the two bolts where it mounts just under the dash, you can drop it down a bit. I did paint some small metal items with the interior dye. It contacts a lot and some was OK, some not so great. Better off with regular paint on metal IMO. Pat
Old 07-11-2004, 03:22 PM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Back To The Top......I'm getting ready to do this too. Any other ideas out there???
Old 07-11-2004, 04:14 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes one idea you can take a piece from inside the car to a good paint store and they can match the color and throw in a can and whala you have matching paint.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:16 PM
Motor City Vette
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 80TexasC3
I'm down to the final steps before putting my interrior back together (FINALLY!)

I refurb'ed the steering wheel and console today...nice results... Now need to repaint the steering column. My thought was to stretch a very large plastic sheet accross the car, take into the interrior and pass the steering column through a hole so that it is on one side of the plastic with the rest of the car on the other.

Will then commence using interrior dye/paint to spray a "like new" coat on the column.

Anyone have any better ideas? or experience?
I did mine this spring and I did the same thing you said above. It worked fine...no problems. I bought some large plastic drop cloths used for painting at Home Depot and used these. Pretty easy and it came out real nice.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:13 AM
80TexasC3
Support Corvetteforum!

UPDATE.... Finished with Interrior Dye...

Worked great! and Looks Great!
Old 07-12-2004, 10:13 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't use interior dye on metal. It can be easily scratched off, especially around the ignition area where your keys dangle. Use a good quality metal paint that is durable, and you'll be lookin good for years to come. I tried the dye on my 77 column and it did not last. I could scratch it off with my fingernail.
Eddie
Old 07-12-2004, 10:34 AM
checklst
Racer

it is soft so I just put a couple of clear coats over it, so far it's held up only time will tell.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Column (painting it???)

Quick Reply: Steering Column (painting it???)