C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am soooo tired of defective parts!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 11:02 PM
ffvetteman
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I am soooo tired of defective parts!!!!!!!!!!

So I did all this work to the 77 including the raditor, water pump, painted all parts of the upper part of the engine. I busted my b@lls on it for 2 weeks to get it ready for Bloomington.

Three weeks prior to starting this I ordered a new power steering cylinder to replace the leaking one, and waited for it on back order. It came in on tuesday and I needed the car done by Friday night.

I replaced all the parts in the power steering shortly after buying the car except that. So friday I start reassembling the engine and core support and radiator etc.

In the afternoon I get to the steering part. I put it in and continue working on everything else. Get the car done after dark, about 10:30 and take it for a test drive.

The car handled like shoit!!! It had play in the center but then got real hard it you turned it either way. And it wouldn't recenter itself. If you tried to turn quickly it was nearly impossible to get the car straight again.

Sat morning, when we were supost to leave I had to remove the new one and put the old leaky one back on.

I did talk to COrvette Central at the show and they agreed to take it back and send me a new one. I also told them if its on back order, I want my money back and will go else where.

This is why I don't parts from discount auto parts stores anymore, I hate getting bad parts. IT HAPPENS TOO OFTEN!!! Is this going to start happening with "reputable" parts sellers? That would suck.

I will not rant in my normal way about how pizzed I am over the quality of parts lately, I'll spare you guys.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:23 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: I am soooo tired of defective parts!!!!!!!!!! (ffvetteman)

Precisely the reason I junked all that old crap and am going back with a Corvette Steering powersteering box. I got tired of replacing the PS control valve (3 times in 4 years!!)
Old 06-27-2004, 11:42 PM
ffvetteman
Drifting

Default Re: I am soooo tired of defective parts!!!!!!!!!! (Smokehouse69)

I noticed the "new" control valve I put in a year ago is a little wet...not good
Old 06-28-2004, 01:38 PM
1970 Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes they will do that--they need a short breaking in period--mine did the same thing and when I talked with a Chevy mechanic--he told me they sometimes take a little while to stop having that "dead spot" in the middle of a turn. And he was right.

SEMPER FI--1970 Dave
Old 06-28-2004, 02:16 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: I am soooo tired of defective parts!!!!!!!!!! (Smokehouse69)

Precisely the reason I junked all that old crap and am going back with a Corvette Steering powersteering box. I got tired of replacing the PS control valve (3 times in 4 years!!)
I still have my original control valve.. I know that replacements are not as good.. I believe there are some remanufacturd valves with a 5 year warranty. Warranties are ok but you have to put out the labor and inconvenience of not driving your car.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:37 PM
ffvetteman
Drifting

Default Re: I am soooo tired of defective parts!!!!!!!!!! (1970 Dave)

Sometimes they will do that--they need a short breaking in period--mine did the same thing and when I talked with a Chevy mechanic--he told me they sometimes take a little while to stop having that "dead spot" in the middle of a turn. And he was right.

SEMPER FI--1970 Dave
I thought about that, but it was unsafe to drive. I drove it for about 5 miles, and did some hard turns etc but it didn't get better. At 30 mph I did some swerves as if to avoid something in the road and had a VERY hard time getting the car straight again.

It was not safe to drive.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:46 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

You can still buy the control valve and steering cylinder new from Chevrolet. Nothing fits and works like OEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-28-2004, 07:26 PM
ffvetteman
Drifting

Default Re: I am soooo tired of defective parts!!!!!!!!!! (Corvette ED)

You can still buy the control valve and steering cylinder new from Chevrolet. Nothing fits and works like OEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I never checked, just assumed that GM didn't carry these anymore.

Thanks for the info

Get notified of new replies

To I am soooo tired of defective parts!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: I am soooo tired of defective parts!!!!!!!!!!