C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paging FAUXRS and other guys with Smart Strut related spinouts!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 09:56 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Paging FAUXRS and other guys with Smart Strut related spinouts!

I was driving my vette today, coming off my favorite ramp. Crossed the apex and braked for the oncoming light... the car swapped ends on me. Not even going too fast, car wasn't at the skidding point and if you know from my older videos, I used to drive it in a full skid.

Scary as poopie! I tried to bring it back around but it wouldn't follow me. Ended up almost facing the way I came. Starved the carb but it didn't stall. Brought it back around and drove home with shaky hands... oh man...

Anyways, I dove under the car and played with the lock nuts, sure enough, they were looser than finger tight... should I lock em down now? What's the likelihood that the alignment is completely FUBARed? Should I wait and have an alignment shop lock them down?

Man, that was freaking scary...
Old 06-27-2004, 09:59 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Paging FAUXRS and other guys with Smart Strut related spinouts! (Pacin'California)

You need to put some red locktite on those threads. Im no suspension expert, but im thinking that if the rear end kicked out from you when it shouldnt then the struts probably arent in spec. Glad to hear you are alright and nothing was hurt. My trailing arm and strutrods were really out of whack after I put on my rebuilt t/a's. I took it out for a quick spin and made a slow U turn. The rear didnt want to straighten out and just kept on going. Next thing i noticed i was backward. Kinda embarrassing...

[Modified by lostpatrolman, 9:02 PM 6/27/2004]
Old 06-27-2004, 10:11 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Paging FAUXRS and other guys with Smart Strut related spinouts! (lostpatrolman)

My ego was wounded, but other than that I survived... I thought I'd made a booboo at first, glad it was just the struts screwing up. Sorta glad anyways...

I'll have to baby it to and from school this week until I can get it aligned.

-Steve
Old 06-27-2004, 10:19 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Paging FAUXRS and other guys with Smart Strut related spinouts! (Pacin'California)

Just do some rough aligning. Keep messing with the strut until the wheel looks strait up and down. Should be a close start.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:38 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Paging FAUXRS and other guys with Smart Strut related spinouts! (lostpatrolman)

Thanks for the help, man.

I'm gonna get it to the shop ASAP to have them look at the rear end.

-Steve
Old 06-28-2004, 02:23 AM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put your car on level ground then get one of those 2 or 4 foot levels and cut a piece of wood does not matter what like say a 2 by 4 to the size of the inside lip of the rim and tape that to the level and put the board against the inside edges of the tire and read bubble. You should have it from there

[Modified by SHAKERATTLEROLL, 7:23 AM 6/28/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Paging FAUXRS and other guys with Smart Strut related spinouts!

Quick Reply: Paging FAUXRS and other guys with Smart Strut related spinouts!