C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

calling fiberglass experts

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 05:12 PM
mikesfst69
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default calling fiberglass experts

I have been doing all the work on my 69, filled in all the holes for the luggage rack and those stress cracks with great results, Heres where I need help the front has been replaced and I have to star cracks from rocks hitting under the fender soagain I ginded and feathered out and resin and fibered but i went to grinding it down and it just poped out like it wouldnt stick for nothing. Is some of these after market front pieces made out of the same as the c4 material and if so how do you tell? and how to repair? :mad
Old 06-27-2004, 06:20 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: calling fiberglass experts (mikesfst69)

If it is light gray with a marbly look, it probably is SMC. You will have to use epoxy resin.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:18 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: calling fiberglass experts (wombvette)

Also make sure that you have all of the air worked out between the layers of glass and that everything you are bonding to is super clean. I clean everything with laquer thinner and then give it an hour to flash off before applying the glass. Zip sells a roller for working out the air bubbles. It costs about $6 and worth every penny. You can clean it up with lacquer thinner when you're done before the resin cures.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:26 PM
mikesfst69
Intermediate

Default Re: calling fiberglass experts (LemansBlue68)

yes i use acetone to clean it up, I did find a rollor at lowes but it was the type to paint like border trim so I trimmed all the cotton away and it looks just like the ones that sell for in ecklers but its plastic and not wood which may be different because it seems useless, I try to roll it over the resin and it just sticks to it and pulls it up, so it is wothless,
Old 06-28-2004, 09:44 AM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The roller that Zip sells is plastic. Nylon I think. It has many deep grooves in it that are close together. The grooves tend to break up any air bubbles and push them up through the glass mat getting rid of them. The grooves also keep the mat from wanting to stick to the roller.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:55 AM
R1234
Melting Slicks

Default Re: calling fiberglass experts (LemansBlue68)

You can also get the rollers at a marine supply house. I bought mine at a West Marine
Old 06-28-2004, 10:35 AM
Philvet
Instructor

After filling the area with layers of glass and saturating with resin. Apply a see thru plastic sandwich bag or plastic food wrap larger than repair area over the top. Work the area with your hand or roller to get the air out and form to shape. After it hardens peel off. The resin does not stick to you or roller and requires less sanding after. If the area is low peel back the plastic and fill with more glass and resin. Remember to squeeze out as much resin as possible; the glass makes the repair strong the resin has very little strength by itself.

Get notified of new replies

To calling fiberglass experts

Quick Reply: calling fiberglass experts