C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Suspesnion upgrade on my 73 :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 04:02 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help with Suspesnion upgrade on my 73 :)

Decision's Decision's. Could anyone out there give me an informed opinion between using the VB Street and Slalom System and the Performance Plus System? Is it really worth the extra grand? I have a 73 of which I will be running a Big Block in.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:12 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Help with Suspesnion upgrade on my 73 :) (SHAKERATTLEROLL)

First decide what you want to do with the car.
Then replace all components that are included in both sets: ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm, trailing arm bushings, diff locator bushing, etc. Tune up your steering box and replace rag joint.
Now it's decision time. If you want a driver, replace with OE springs, sway bars and soft shocks. If you want a bit more performance, install OE Gymkhana setup with heavier springs and larger sway bars.
Still more performance would add smart strut bracket, composite springs front and rear OR coilovers all around.
Higher performance setups need 17" wheels and good tires to take full advantage of it.
Talk to reps at VB and Guldstrand before you go beyond replacing worn parts.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:45 AM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Help with Suspesnion upgrade on my 73 :) (flynhi)

Thank you so much for the info. It will be a street car but I do not mind for it to be a harsh. I just want it to handle better than a boat lol. I will give VB a shout as I have sent an e mail a week ago but I guess they are swamped this time of year. Would like to compair notes as well if possible.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:52 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

I have had both set ups on my 79. Unfortunately I did have the old 60 series tires on it when I still had the slalom kit on. Anyways the biggest improvement to a tight stock suspesion would be better tires. Bit lower profile. Say 17" wheels with 255/50 performance tires will make the car handle much better than stock and will also help the car stop better!

The VB&P Perf.+ kit costs you a great chunk of change, but it will also change the way your car hanldes a lot. I was happy with the slalom kit for awhile, but now with the perf.+ it's even better.

Few guys here say that it will make the suspension go back to stoneage with the composite springs in both end. They say the suspension is not indepndent any longer. IMO with the composite springs it stays very much independent due to the fact that it allows you to set the ride height and damping rate individually on each corner. I have the spring set for medium in front and soft at the back and I am very pleased with the handling. It's a bolt on job and the whole conversion can be done with in a day. It shaves few pounds of the car too, which is always a good thing! Only thing I would change it to is something like what Norval has done to his car, which is top drawer stuff.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:02 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Help with Suspesnion upgrade on my 73 :) (groovyjay)

like what Norval has done to his car, which is top drawer stuff

The problem with what I did was it took major surgury. Alot of cutting and alot of welding. It too was not cheap. It initially cost $1500 for the shocks and original springs and I spent another $1000 on springs for testing. 4 sets ended up sitting in the cupboard and they cost $172 CDN per set times 4.
Double click to enlarge
Old 06-28-2004, 10:10 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Help with Suspesnion upgrade on my 73 :) (norvalwilhelm)

like what Norval has done to his car, which is top drawer stuff

The problem with what I did was it took major surgury. Alot of cutting and alot of welding. It too was not cheap. It initially cost $1500 for the shocks and original springs and I spent another $1000 on springs for testing. 4 sets ended up sitting in the cupboard and they cost $172 CDN per set times 4.
Double click to enlarge
That is the daddy of all C3 suspension modifications!
Old 06-28-2004, 10:17 AM
VBP
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '07,'13

Shakerattleroll.
Sorry we did not reply to your e-mail, I just changed it in our profile to my desk tony@vbandp.com. Give me a call or e-mail and we will help you out and answer your questions about these two kits. Sorry again for the delay.

Tony
VBP
Old 06-28-2004, 11:04 AM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Help with Suspesnion upgrade on my 73 :) (VBP)

I was gonna suggest the High performance package .... but it's only for 80-82 ???
Old 06-28-2004, 11:20 AM
Mark70
Burning Brakes

Have you thought about using Guldstrand suspension components?
http://www.guldstrand.com
I've been very happy and satisfied with my car since I had the suspension upgraded.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=260268

Mark

[Modified by Mark70, 8:20 AM 6/28/2004]
Old 06-28-2004, 07:27 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Help with Suspesnion upgrade on my 73 :) (norvalwilhelm)

Thank you so much Tony I just figured you were swamped this time of year. I will sure give you a holler as time from work permits me to do so. Norval you have a nice setup but with all of those holes in your frame you must have some bad salt up there or some darn mean critters . I am just trying to get an idea of where to start and with what parts that might be needed as it needs a bunch lol. I am going to go from my auto to a 5 speed depending on how the new TKO600 is turning out to be as of yet have not heard much. And a small Big Block of 468 and on pump gas at 565 HP and 555 TQ. I have the engine and what vette would not be a vette without those side pipes. And will need to replace interior components as well. So since I do not have funds falling out of my pockets I am looking to find the best way to stretch a buck and have a good setup when I am done. And since I do not want to get any NCRS guys upset because of my modifications. The Vette of yesterday was as good as it got in its day and they were meant to drive and drive hard but with all of the upgrades that are available to us today we can bring these old asphalt melters back to life and run them like they were meant to be run.

I know this is off topic for here but I thought I would ask. Where would the best place to be to purchase a new Gas Tank by chance?

Get notified of new replies

To Help with Suspesnion upgrade on my 73 :)

Quick Reply: Help with Suspesnion upgrade on my 73 :)