C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clean your finish without removing the paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 03:55 PM
kmckiou
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clean your finish without removing the paint

I just made a discovery I thought others might find useful. I recently bought a '73 coupe that had been in restoration 20 years ago. The body was finished, but it sat around in the garage since 1980 collecting garage rash, dirt and, in my case, house paint overspray. This beautiful black laquer paint has orange speckles all across the hood and fender.

I tried lots of things to remove the housepaint (latex, I think) but only met with limited success. Clay bar won't do it. Polishing compound will do it, but removes paint as well, leaving little bumps where the speckle used to be.

What works terrific is BAR Lava soap on a damp rag. Take a damp rag, rub it on the bar and then rub the finish with the rag. It seems to disolve or release the paint specks without removing the car finish. No black on the rag.

I tried other brands of soap, but nothing worked like the Lava. I did try liquid Lava, but it is gritty and acts just like polishing compound, removing paint.

- Kevin

Quick Reply: Clean your finish without removing the paint