C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serpentine belt PS pump high side hose leaks

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 02:27 PM
CajunRaceR
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serpentine belt PS pump high side hose leaks

I have a 1979 Corvette with a zz4 crate motor. I obtained a serpentine belt setup for it and it seems to work fine except the high side ps fitting leaks bad. I have new pump and hose and have followed the diagrams properly. The pump is the same as a 1990 camero/vette type. Is the seal/fitting different than the 1979 hose end? Is there a way to go with the serp pulley on a 79 pump? Cant quite get this one worked out.

thanks in advance
Mark
Old 06-27-2004, 03:18 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Serpentine belt PS pump high side hose leaks (CajunRaceR)

YES, the fitting is differant, you can bolt it up, but it will weep/leak....
it's NOT a flare fitting on the pump, like the old ones, ti's a AN type but I forget the number...uses an O ring for seal, works fine if you have the right fitting....ME, I"d just go to junkyard and pull the pipe off a late car/pump, and cut the hose.....

then go to a HD or plumbing supply place, and buy what's known as a 3/8 compression union....joins two 3/8 pipes together with a little brass compression ring around it.....I have had one of those on my setup, similar to yours for about ten years now.....works fine....it's all brass so interacts fine with very little effort with the steel.....

I used mine because I had problems with hoses on the original stock setup, as well as hose routing with my rack/pinion conversion...to that compression fitting remains in the middle of the steel pressure line to this day....

GENE
Old 06-28-2004, 01:00 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Serpentine belt PS pump high side hose leaks (mrvette)

I took the stock Vette hose from the pump and the stock hose to the valve and cut them in the middle of the hose. Then I got a bull-nose type fitting installed so I could connect them. I would not use a standard brass union on high-pressure, I would use one designed for hydraulic line. I have heard that you can use the fitting from the 79 pump in the 90 pump, but have not tried it myself. On a 70 truck, I used the 90 Vette hose from the pump and cut the fitting from the other end and used the old inverted flare at the box, but I don't think that will work at the C3 valve, the line is smaller than at the rack on the C4.

Get notified of new replies

To Serpentine belt PS pump high side hose leaks

Quick Reply: Serpentine belt PS pump high side hose leaks