C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bloomington Gold-Who went?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 12:18 PM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

Received 694 Likes on 318 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Default Bloomington Gold-Who went?

Went Saturday, drove the CRX cause it's got OD and the vette doesn't. Great show as usual and weather was perfect. Felt sorry for the manual trans Vettes waiting in line to get in. The Vettes were stacked up for blocks and blocks both directions, just creeping. I stopped for breakfast (by the way MacDonald's new computerized order system sucks "put more bills in, put more bills in!" LOL) and still passed the same Vettes waiting in line to get in. Chevy had a dark blue C6 vert there and people lined up 2 deep around it. Talked with the Keisler transmission folks there (remember that lack of OD issue I have? ) and they indicated that orders are down to 12 weeks turnaround now. Gave my new digital camera a workout, took pics of just about every C3 that was there. Watched some Survivor judging which was interesting. Saw one C3 vette being judged with Hooker chrome sidepipes and another C3 with a pressure release lever radiator cap???? The Mecum auction was great as usual, C2's = Gold! Callaway's vettes were the featured Vette this year and he sure can do a custom Vette, his quality is outstanding. Knoch interiors was there with his excellent seat covers as well as with his extensive line of lawn ornaments. Some major Vette vendors didn't make this year. Overall I would say attendance was down as well as the amount of Vettes compared to the last 2 years. But still a great time at a beautiful setting. Charles
Old 06-27-2004, 12:22 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Bloomington Gold-Who went? (Mako72)

Sounds like it was still a good show to attend. One of these days I am going to have to make it up and see the show. Got any pics you want to post?
Old 06-27-2004, 12:47 PM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Bloomington Gold-Who went? (Eddie 70)

Eddie, with your Keisler it would be a piece of cake. Though a prettier setting, I long for the days when Bloomington was in Bloomington , I could drive my Vette there easy from my southern Illinois location. I've read the posts on posting pics but can't make heads or tails from them. I got a family get together this afternoon, will try to do it tonite. Charles
Old 06-27-2004, 01:27 PM
Skipple
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took 2.5 hours to drive down from Milwuakee ... and 1 hour in line on Route 64 waiting to get in. They've got to get a better system figured out. Oh well, got lots of clutch practice

But the weather was great. Ton's of great lookin Vettes and thousands of real nice Vette owners to talk to. The Mecum auction was fun to watch. Made sure I kept my hands in my pockets (no quick chin scratches ... or I'd of had another ride in my Garage!

All in all, a fun day.

Old 06-27-2004, 06:43 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

I was there. Drove up from Austin TX, two day trip. Had to leave Saturday afternoon as had to be back at work on Monday Got to spend Friday and Saturday A.M. Good to see all of those that abandoned Bloomington last year coming back for this years show.

Lots and lots of vendors, lots of vettes, lots of people, great show. The facility is great but when you step off of the grounds you are on your own. I would like to see them go back to Springfield, the people/business/organizations there know how to handle conventions and took care of the Vette owners. In Springfield the hotels had roped off parking with security for the Vettes. In St Charles if you ask about a hose to wash your car you just get a dumb look.

But still, overall a great show. I will be back next year

tom...
Old 06-27-2004, 08:33 PM
BlueL36
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

It's in my backyard, so I went everyday for a bit. The Road Tour was a blast. But getting into the grounds was a PIA. You had to dodge pedestrians on the cart paths of the golf course as well as those hanging out at the vendors along the way. Last year's in-and-out was much easier. But I'll be back again next year...
Old 06-27-2004, 09:36 PM
baja216
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I was there as well. What a major PITA to get into the place. It took us 40 minutes. :mad I tell you whoever thought up the logistics of that had to be from Chicago. Lets see, merge two lanes into one, let them expand into five, merge five back down into one, merge that one lane with another express lane, and then meander through the crowds. We went with ten other vettes and got split up and couldn't find each other. One of the '66's started to overheat. I think next year I might leave the vette at home. I'd be in the show about an hour sooner!

Once we got in the show was excellent!

Old 06-28-2004, 12:04 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Bloomington Gold-Who went? (baja216)

I had my '74 "Re-Survivored". Same owner(me!), had it done in Springfield,Il in 1994 when it was first eligible(minimum 20 yrs old)and it had 36,000mi on it. Here, in '04 & 10 yrs later, I turned 46,000mi DURING the Survivor Road Tour. Again, passed all four categories judged for "originality", chassis, engine compartment, interior & exterior. I guess now it's a double "Survivor"
Old 06-28-2004, 01:09 AM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Bloomington Gold-Who went? (Eddie 70)

Sounds like it was still a good show to attend. One of these days I am going to have to make it up and see the show. Got any pics you want to post?
Checkout my other post on Bloomington Gold pictures. This was my first attempt to post pics and only got 5 of 7 to appear. :bb Charles
Old 06-28-2004, 01:15 AM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Bloomington Gold-Who went? (Paul Borowski)

I had my '74 "Re-Survivored". Same owner(me!), had it done in Springfield,Il in 1994 when it was first eligible(minimum 20 yrs old)and it had 36,000mi on it. Here, in '04 & 10 yrs later, I turned 46,000mi DURING the Survivor Road Tour. Again, passed all four categories judged for "originality", chassis, engine compartment, interior & exterior. I guess now it's a double "Survivor"
Congrats Paul. Mighty fine driving your Vette and still keeping it original. Wished I could have met ya there. Probably walked right by you as I was checking out the Survivor judging. Charles
Old 06-28-2004, 09:00 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VI Veteran

Congrats Paul. Mighty fine driving your Vette and still keeping it original. Wished I could have met ya there. Probably walked right by you as I was checking out the Survivor judging. Charles
Charles, yeah you probably did. I was kinda suprised I did'nt see anyone from the forum that I was aware of. Talked to a ton of people Saturday on the judging field. tom73 was right about St. Charles. Springfield seemed like the whole town supported Bloomington. It will always be my favorite. They always used to put up all those signs around the whole town welcoming all the Corvettes. I have one from every year!
Old 06-28-2004, 10:59 AM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Bloomington Gold-Who went? (Paul Borowski)

Agree that Springfield was a great setting also. Seems that there were Vettes crusing everywhere in Springfield too. Wonder if it would have been worthwhile to have set up beforehand a designated meet spot/time for all Corvette Forum members at Bloomington? Maybe something to try for the upcoming MidAmerica FunFest? Charles
Old 06-28-2004, 11:31 AM
The Dude
Race Director

I got back yesterday. Great show. Some observatrions:

--I was apalled at the amount of money I have sent to the landfill over the years in the form of rusty, "original" Corvette parts I've removed from one car or another. I'm not sure I would buy any parts from the swap meet there unless I was really horny to have the correct number. ($$$)

--The coolest car there wasn't a restored beauty. It was a completely unrestored, "found-in-a-barn" '54 beater.

--You had to look long and hard to find a hot rod. It would be swell to add a judging category for cars of this type. I think it would make the show bigger and better.

--The '98 Callaway C12 prototype--"Inky Blue--is a phenomenal vehicle.

--Mike Yager from MidAmerica Motorsports is a really nice guy.

--With all of the "correcct" parts to completely restore just about any Corvette to showroom condition readily available via the aftermarket, what value does a "Bloomington Gold" certification have besedes an ego stroke to the owner who wrote a Big Check to Corvette Mike or somebody?

--The Suvivor cars are where all the real coolness is.

[Modified by The Dude, 11:49 AM 6/28/2004]
Old 06-28-2004, 12:48 PM
pzcg7l
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

I was there for my 19th year. Spectacular show as always.....

Only 52 weeks to go until next year's show!!
Old 06-28-2004, 02:09 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Though a prettier setting, I long for the days when Bloomington was in Bloomington , I could drive my Vette there easy from my southern Illinois location.
I haven't been since they moved it out of Bloomington and probably won't tell they... acknowledge that "it" isn't Bloomington..... My perception is Mid America's Funfest is slowly taking over as "the" event in the Midwest. Guess I shouldn't judge since I havent attended "St.Charles Gold"

Bullshark
Old 06-28-2004, 02:12 PM
blbeck
Instructor

Default Re: Bloomington Gold-Who went? (pzcg7l)

Paul
Congrats on another survivor award (yes your 74 is a true survivor). Glad you had a good time missed this years show.
Bob Beck
1977 brand new still on the MSO
Old 06-28-2004, 02:50 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,475 Likes on 767 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

It was great unitl the driveout on Sat. night. I was about 1/4 mile from the front, when a chick in a minivan snuck in behind me. About a block later she tailended me. Trashed the back bumper cover and put a small crack in the fiberglass on the right rear. By the time the cop finished the report, the cruise was past. I really wasn't in the mood anyhow. I took my '78 Pace home, and tomorrow it gets to go to the bodyshop! Why is it that people follow so close when they can see you have a collectable car? I'm glad it wasn't a Harley ride or I might be dead today.

Get notified of new replies

To Bloomington Gold-Who went?

Old 06-28-2004, 02:58 PM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Bloomington Gold-Who went? (gliot1)

It was great unitl the driveout on Sat. night. I was about 1/4 mile from the front, when a chick in a minivan snuck in behind me. About a block later she tailended me. Trashed the back bumper cover and put a small crack in the fiberglass on the right rear. By the time the cop finished the report, the cruise was past. I really wasn't in the mood anyhow. I took my '78 Pace home, and tomorrow it gets to go to the bodyshop! Why is it that people follow so close when they can see you have a collectable car? I'm glad it wasn't a Harley ride or I might be dead today.
Man that sucks, I feel for you. Some people don't belong on the road. IF she has insurance, hopefully it will go up and she will stay home more. Charles
Old 06-28-2004, 09:12 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Re: Bloomington Gold-Who went? (blbeck)

Paul
Congrats on another survivor award (yes your 74 is a true survivor). Glad you had a good time missed this years show.
Bob Beck
1977 brand new still on the MSO
Bob, Thanks. Hope to see you in Ontario in July?
Old 06-28-2004, 11:54 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

The traffic into the show was a joke. The new guy running the show this year was warned by the local law enforcement that his method would not work, but he did it anyway. There were definately some bridges burned between him and law enforcement, the show literally shut down Route 64, could have been a real problem for medical emergencies, etc. As far as attendance, I think it was way up from the first 2 years. First year for anything in a new location is always bound to be a little tough, and last year was the conflict with the birthday bash. There were 2,000 cars on the road tour, if that's not saying something about the enthusiasm of those attending, I don't know what is?

Quick Reply: Bloomington Gold-Who went?