C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A short in my instruments HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 09:17 AM
C3cadet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A short in my instruments HELP

Originally thought to be a ground problem, I have discovered that I have a bad short in my instruments. Fuse blows big time! Is there a way to test the leads at of the junction connection in the harness to determine which wire is producing the short? If so, I could just cut that wire and at least get most of my instruments back.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:54 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Re: A short in my instruments HELP (C3cadet)

:p: A short instrument is an off topic and has no known cure.

There's only 4 screws and two nuts that hold that panel in on my '74. The 2 nuts require removing the lower side trim pieces with 1 screw each. I would just label and pull all the instrument wires, then replace the fuse. Next I would reconnect each wire one a time until fuse blows. No need to cut wire - just cover with electrical tape. Or you could install fuse and pull one wire at time until fuses stop burning up. But I think you might waste a lot of fuses and maybe the short is somewhere else.
Happy hunting. cardo0
Old 06-27-2004, 04:25 PM
checklst
Racer

Default Re: A short in my instruments HELP (cardo0)

If your 75 is anything like my 71 I can tell you where it might be shorted. I just redid my interior and remover everything down to the firewall.

First the main wire harness cable from the fuse box loop up and over the Tach and Speedo the cable it held in place by a metal hook tie, the cable rest up against a large metal firewall brace for the windshield. One can see it's only a matter of time before movement wears it through mine, did and melted quite a few wires.

Now for the interesting part, (ALL) the instruments lights (single gray wire) coming from the dash and console came to the top of the harness and are connected with a large metal wire clamp (wrapped tightly with tape them placed it the main harness where it was taped again.

It's possible if you are having problems with all the single gray wire instrurments panel this is the area a major short could occur, the big problem is it requires you to remove the drivers side lower dash pad and the upper dash pad as well to get good access. This wire is pulled out from under the rusty bolt you see on the left center, if you enlarge the photo you can see the gray wires as I cut the harness open to the left was the wire clip the held all grey wires together.

Good luck

[Modified by checklst, 1:09 AM 6/28/2004]

[Modified by checklst, 1:11 AM 6/28/2004]
Old 06-27-2004, 11:01 PM
C3cadet
Intermediate

Default Re: A short in my instruments HELP (C3cadet)

Thanks guys, 2 very good suggestions. I will first try a volt meter on all wires and see if I can pick up an abnormality. If I can't, I shall try to find the grey wire after it goes over the tach, if I can I shall cut it befoe and after and splice it together. If that does not solve the problem I shall try the instruments, one by one. I lean toward the grey wire problem solution, as it seems a total failure needs a system-wide response. PS, the previous owner did a dash re-install.
:flag
Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To A short in my instruments HELP

Quick Reply: A short in my instruments HELP