C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I screwed up, help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 04:44 AM
TLChydraulics
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, my hood won't open!

I purchased my vette recently, while fixing many other little things, I installed the missing hood latch on the passenger side, fender/firewall mounted half. After adjusting its location for a nice close, I promptly closed the hood. Well, that was a mistake, cause only my drivers side is releasing, and I can't get my hood up now.
Any suggestions?
I imagine there must be a way to manually release it other than the cable release. At least I hope there is. Otherwise I guess its crawl under and unbolt the hood up front and hope I can get it to release from there?

Thanks for any help!!!

Loren

[Modified by TLChydraulics, 3:47 AM 6/27/2004]
Old 06-27-2004, 04:54 AM
Ybnormal
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Help, my hood won't open! (TLChydraulics)

There is an access hole in the windshield wiper area. Need to get something to fish through the hole and release the one latch. I have never had to do this myself so not sure exactly how it's done. I'm sure someone will chime in that has done this before with more details.

Good Luck
YBnormal...drive a vette

Old 06-27-2004, 05:37 AM
Love My 72 and 77
Drifting

[Modified by Love My 72 and 77, 2:37 AM 6/27/2004]
Old 06-27-2004, 05:42 AM
brooksman9
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Help, my hood won't open! (Love My 72 and 77)

[Modified by Love My 72 and 77, 2:37 AM 6/27/2004]
Oh that was cold. Try this http://www.c3vr.com/tips/default.asp?TID=17
Old 06-27-2004, 06:04 AM
TLChydraulics
Instructor

Default Re: Help, my hood won't open! (brooksman9)

Well, better then my dad's suggestion.... a hammer.

Loren
Old 06-27-2004, 06:29 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

with the driver's side unlatched you should be able to get something like a wire with a hook or maybe even you hand in there to grab the cross cable .
Old 06-27-2004, 07:02 AM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: Help, my hood won't open! (Larry B.)

i had the same problem when i had my latches off to paint them only the
driverside unlatched i just pulled hard in the opening handle and also pushed the hood in different angels until it unlatched..
Old 06-27-2004, 08:02 AM
brooksman9
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor

Well, better then my dad's suggestion.... a hammer.
Now that's how I fix stuff at work!
Old 06-27-2004, 08:24 AM
Mike Smith
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

When I owned my '73, it did the same thing regularly.

When the driver side latch released, I was always able to pull the hood upward just enough to pull on the cross cable.

Good luck with your project.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:39 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help, my hood won't open! (Mike Smith)

I have the same problem on my 73. The drivers side will release but not the passenger side. Someone mentioned the locater pin was mis aligned but it looks dead on to me. To get my hood open I pull the release. The drivers side pops up a bit, i then grab the edge of the drivers side of the hood and push the hood sideways a tad towards the passenger latch and it pops right open every time. Give it a try. Hope it works for you too.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:12 AM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: Help, my hood won't open! (Jvette73)

I had that happen to my 73 once when I had taken the hood off and didn't get it back on right. The edge of the post got caught on the under side of the hole. I ended up grinding the nuts that hold the hood hinge in place. They are welded to a plate in the wheel well by the radiator support.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:17 AM
81' Corvette Guy
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Help, my hood won't open! (redwingvette)

())))))))) T N T ))))))))))))))))))~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~***
Old 06-30-2004, 04:23 AM
TLChydraulics
Instructor

Default Re: Help, my hood won't open! (Larry B.)

Thanks for the help, as you said, with the hood popped on drivers side I can just reach the cross cable and pull it to release the other side. Afterwards, I tried a number of times to realign the passenger side latch, but it just doesn't want to release for me. So for now I am dealing with the extra release pull.

Thanks again!!!

Loren
Old 06-30-2004, 07:56 AM
Aflac
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

My 77 acted stupid like that one time and I ended up just managing to slide y hand in and grabbing the cross cablelike the other people said.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:59 AM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you checked the pin itself? Maybe it has a defective lip or something.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:06 AM
Nick-75Roadster
Advanced

I've had this happen on my 75 a couple of times. One thing I did after I got the hood open was to remove the latch assemblies on the hood (mark them carefully for the re-installation), drilled a hole on the moving part of each latch (the actual release mechanism), then reinstalled them. I then ran a length of galvanized wire to each hole (black wire may be better since it would be harder to see) that was long enough to arc out past the hood seal into the windshield wiper recess. It only has to be long enough to be able to reach under the hood at the base of the windshield and grab a hold of it. It is so well hidden from view that you either have to know it is there or you really have to look for it. The nice thing about this is that I can release both latches with a good tug on it, so if my hood release cable ever broke with the hood in the closed position, I can easily open it. Just a suggestion...
Old 01-01-2012, 12:00 PM
CjTex61
2nd Gear

These are all great suggestions, but my 79 doesn't have the cable on the hood. the cable runs from left to right on the body itself and the cable broke. Is the quarter sized hole to put the screwdriver in to release the latch you are referring to also referring to a 79 or earlier model? We tried for hours last night to go up through and past the rocker panel up through near the firewall/fender well to reach the bolts on the hood. We got a wrench on the bolt head but with such limited space we could break them loose. Also wanted to dismantel from the front of the hood, but no where to get in up through the bottom behind the lights. ARRRRGGGGGHHHHH. DO NOT WANT TO USE A RECIPROCATING SAW AS IN THE POST ABOVE.
Need help asap please.
Cj.

Get notified of new replies

To I screwed up, help?

Old 01-01-2012, 12:33 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick-75Roadster
I've had this happen on my 75 a couple of times. One thing I did after I got the hood open was to remove the latch assemblies on the hood (mark them carefully for the re-installation), drilled a hole on the moving part of each latch (the actual release mechanism), then reinstalled them. I then ran a length of galvanized wire to each hole (black wire may be better since it would be harder to see) that was long enough to arc out past the hood seal into the windshield wiper recess. It only has to be long enough to be able to reach under the hood at the base of the windshield and grab a hold of it. It is so well hidden from view that you either have to know it is there or you really have to look for it. The nice thing about this is that I can release both latches with a good tug on it, so if my hood release cable ever broke with the hood in the closed position, I can easily open it. Just a suggestion...
I'd like to see some pics
Old 01-01-2012, 01:10 PM
CjTex61
2nd Gear

Default 1979

Originally Posted by Jvette73
I have the same problem on my 73. The drivers side will release but not the passenger side. Someone mentioned the locater pin was mis aligned but it looks dead on to me. To get my hood open I pull the release. The drivers side pops up a bit, i then grab the edge of the drivers side of the hood and push the hood sideways a tad towards the passenger latch and it pops right open every time. Give it a try. Hope it works for you too.
Anyone want to chime in on help with a '79 issue. The latches are on the body, not in the middle of the hood. There is no quarter sized hole with a plug to pop and get a screwdriver in to release the latch on the passenger side. We've pulled the cable handle and wiggled the hood and gone in from the bottom but just cannot get enough leverage on the wrench to break the bolts loose.
Thanks.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Uncle Maddog
Advanced

Default releasing hood

Just went out and looked at my '78 and found that it still has the quarter sized plugged access holes for the hood releases. Can't imagine that the '79 doesn't.
Turn your wipers on and let them move to the straight up position, then kill the key to hold them there. Using a flashlight, locate the right side plug just forward of the w/w stem and 5" inboard from the hood/fender seam. A 6"-10" screwdriver can be used to remove (punch through/destroy) the plastic plug.
If you can get a small mirror near the hole, with the flashlight you may be able to see the back view of the latch. Use the screwdriver (or whatever you can make work) to press down on the lowermost lever on the latch. It will look like a thick screwdriver end from this vantage point.
It doesn't have to move far, and depending on how tight you have you're latch adjusted, you may need a buddy to press down the hood corner to relieve it somewhat. Patience is key, this may not be as easy as it is to write about it, but it can be done if you hold your tongue just right
Best luck, and a Happy New Year to all y'all!!

Quick Reply: I screwed up, help?