C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tremec slip yoke question

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 10:02 PM
BBShark
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Default Tremec slip yoke question

I am putting a Tremec TKO-500 in my 68. I have read several posts about what slip yoke to use. I have accumulated Corvette Forum references to Ford and Lincolns from the 60's, 70's and 80's. The driveline shop that is redoing my rear end and making my driveshaft works on race cars and trucks. I told them them the information I had obtained from the Corvette Forum and they told me, if I could be more specific, they could find the yoke. I can't blame them, I wouldn't want to look up 30 years of applications to find the right (possibly) one. I know I can get one from Mark Williams but I'm not big on spending $2-300 on a yoke.

So, how about this as an alternative. I get a regular C6 yoke, machine the yoke off the splined shaft (leaving a 1" pilot). Then, machine the Vette yoke to accept the C6 and weld them together????? Opinions?
Old 06-26-2004, 10:21 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Tremec slip yoke question (BBShark)

I did a tremec installation this week, well finished yesterday and he didn't have a slip yoke. I took a flapper wheel in my die grinder and about 10 seconds polished the yoke for a slip fit universal, a small brass hammer effortlessly tapped the caps in.
I can install the yoke in a few minutes so why bother with the quick change yoke.
That said when I did mine I used the rear flange off any mustang. The rear of the driveshaft on a mustang has a univeral with a flat plate, well a ring on it for alignment. I just took the C6 yoke, machined most of the yoke away and welded a plate on the stub then put the yoke in a lathe and machined it for flatness and matched the recess for the ford flange.
The ford mustand has a flange similiar to our out flanges on the 1/2 shaft of axle.
I have done this twice. Get any ford rear driveshaft flange. It is a start.
I made mine in a few hours total for a quick take apart yoke.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:17 PM
BBShark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Default Re: Tremec slip yoke question (norvalwilhelm)

It sounds to me like we are talking about the same deal, cut the splined shaft receiver off the yoke of the C6 and weld the Vette flange on to it (assuring alignment betrween the two parts). I'm thinking the parts guy at the driveline shop would rather I do this than have him search for 30 years of old Lincoln parts.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:57 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BBShark - Have you called around? The yoke is a compund C6 one out of a mid-80's lincoln that has a CV joint in it. If your driveline guy doesn't know which one, check with your F*rd dealer and other shops in your area. I'll be willing to bet you can locate one once you can show/communicate which yoke you need.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:34 PM
BBShark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Default Re: Tremec slip yoke question (Marks69BB)

When you say the yoke has a CV joint in it, that's where I'm lost. How does a yoke with a CV joint "in it" fit my car? Aren't you still talking about cutting and welding with the Lincoln yoke? I need a C6 compound 1330 (universal joint) series yoke.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:56 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

What;s the spline pattern on the TKO-500?

After doing my T5 conversion and just installing the u-joint in the car, I wouldn't consider spending the money to buy a take-apart yoke.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:32 AM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you say the yoke has a CV joint in it, that's where I'm lost. How does a yoke with a CV joint "in it" fit my car? Aren't you still talking about cutting and welding with the Lincoln yoke? I need a C6 compound 1330 (universal joint) series yoke.
Yes, I'm talking about cutting and welding that your driveshaft guy can do. You will have to use a compound (1310 > 1330 I think) u-joint to fit it once the machining is done but you will not be dissapointed with the final result! My local driveshaft guy did this as part of the $50 he charged me! I still think you can work this with some research.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:59 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Tremec slip yoke question (ddecart)

After doing my T5 conversion and just installing the u-joint in the car, I wouldn't consider spending the money to buy a take-apart yoke.

I agree with ddecart. If you just polish the yoke so the U joint is a slip fit it is effortless to install the universal in the car. It certainly is not worth the $200 plus most places charge.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:59 AM
BBShark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

For what it's worth, I have been unable to find any Ford driveshaft components with CV joints. There are however, Ford (Lincoln and Thunderbird) driveshafts with Cardan joints in them. If this is the right one, I will post a picture and PN for it.

Get notified of new replies

To Tremec slip yoke question

Quick Reply: Tremec slip yoke question