C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much $$ to have a complete ready to bolt in rear carrier instaled.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 01:50 PM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Default how much $$ to have a complete ready to bolt in rear carrier instaled.....

I have a complete ready to go, center carrier with 3.70 gears for my 66 Vette, to change my 3.08 carrier >> have side exhaust (exhaust is not in the way) no spare carrier in the way either, was going to install as winter project ,But want to do the 1/4 mile this season..................as its ready to bolt in whats a fair price to have job done by BUBBA :flag THE DOG
Old 06-26-2004, 04:25 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: how much $$ to have a complete ready to bolt in rear carrier instaled..... (StrayDog)

I am strictly amateur (but getting better), and I did that job. I would think a shop could do it in 1 hour or 1.5 hours given that they can lift the car and the carrier using euipment not available to the home mechanic. I can't see it being more than $200.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:00 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: how much $$ to have a complete ready to bolt in rear carrier instaled..... (R. Bruno)

Without a lift it should be no more than a 3 hour job if everything comes loose. i would say no more tah 200 to 250.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:28 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: how much $$ to have a complete ready to bolt in rear carrier instaled..... (Gordonm)

putting it back in is quite simple. Bolt the driveshaft to the rear carrier while it is on the ground. Bolt the rear crossmember to the rear carrier. This makes things go quicker. Put the carrier on a floor jack and move it around as needed. Once you are at this step, you only have to slip the driveshaft into the trans, bolt the snubber to the frame, bolt the snubber bracket to the carrier and bolt the 2 bolts for the rear crossmember. Then you have your spring and strut rod bracket, and strut rods. Should be done. Very easy and quick.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:09 PM
jkmhb
Instructor

Default Re: how much $$ to have a complete ready to bolt in rear carrier instaled..... (lostpatrolman)

Straydog - when I installed my 3.08 (and took out the 3.70) - I just left the rear cover attached to the crossmember, and left the crossmember attached to the frame. Took out the strut rod bracket, spring, removed the front snubber bracket, unbolted the cover from the diff. and it came right out.

I used some cheap ring clip pliers to remove and install the side yokes.

[Modified by jkmhb, 2:29 PM 6/29/2004]

[Modified by jkmhb, 2:46 PM 6/29/2004]
Old 06-29-2004, 04:50 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: how much $$ to have a complete ready to bolt in rear carrier instaled..... (jkmhb)

What did you do with the 3.7's???????

[Modified by Stewart's74, 4:51 PM 6/29/2004]
Old 06-29-2004, 05:27 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Default Re: how much $$ to have a complete ready to bolt in rear carrier instaled..... (StrayDog)

I agree no more than a 3 hour job.

I just moved up to the area, whats the deal with Rowley Corvette? I saw that place in my travels. Do they just service? ...Sell parts?

Sorry to hijack your thread. Send me an IM if you're familiar with them.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:56 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could do this yourself in an evening. Why the wait to spend money when you could DIY right now?
Old 06-29-2004, 06:59 PM
jkmhb
Instructor

Default Re: how much $$ to have a complete ready to bolt in rear carrier instaled..... (Stewart's74)

Stewart's74: Actually, StrayDog bought it!
Old 06-30-2004, 07:51 AM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: how much $$ to have a complete ready to bolt in rear carrier instaled..... (Jack71)

Thamks all for great advice & I have decided to do it myself.........I have done a switch to Aluminum heads & a Cam swap with no problems ,as well as replacing rear spring & rebuilding suspension , the problem is I want to go to the drags on July 18th..........& >>>>>>>>>>> Jack71, good question, On Rowley Corvette, one thing the guy has no personality, or could he be a Jerk, ....but since I have never done buisness with him ( because of his personality) I wont comment ( or have I)... :yesnod :anyways we are neighbors I live on the Ipswich /Boxford line.....near Hood Pond, since you have a 71, Oldies day at NE Dragway , only 26 miles away in Epping NH....is a great time only 72( cars not age) & older can run the 1/4 mile ...>>> on July 18th interested ? thats why I am going to 3.70 rear gears, my 66 B/B has 3.08 s & I am turning 13.3 Et ...I have a burning desire for the 12s ..............The Dog Woof :flag
Old 06-30-2004, 08:03 AM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: how much $$ to have a complete ready to bolt in rear carrier instaled..... (jkmhb)

The Dude & Jerry...Good info...........I thought the support (above) had to be removed , But based upon the threads>>>> i will do it myself.cant be more difficult than changing heads or a cam swap....but its something I never did before so i neended advice Thanks Straydog

[Modified by StrayDog, 8:04 AM 6/30/2004]
Old 06-30-2004, 11:23 AM
The Dude
Race Director

Just disconnect the half- and driveshafts, unbolt the ends of the crossmember that it's bolted to, remove the carrier bolts and use a floor jack to lower the whole mess from the car. Transfer the crossmember to the new pumpkin, roll it under, lift it up and reattach.

The Dude's Difficulty Index on this job is Three Beers.

[Modified by The Dude, 8:26 AM 6/30/2004]
Old 06-30-2004, 12:11 PM
jkmhb
Instructor

Default Re: how much $$ to have a complete ready to bolt in rear carrier instaled..... (The Dude)

The Dude - sometimes the crossmember does not come out easily, and you can remove the diff. by just leaving the rear cover in place attached to the crossmember.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:35 PM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

jkmhb, Thanks, as the crossmember looks like its a Bear to remove ,,,fused in place for 38 years......................
Old 06-30-2004, 02:57 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Yes. Sometimes the crossmember IS a bear to remove. And you CAN get the pumpkin out and into the car by only removing it. I've done it that way.

But you run into the problem of mayge it will come out and go back in and maybe it won't.

The last time I did it that way the pumpkin would not go back into the car. After dropping the thing on my chest 5 or 7 times, I sucked it up and pulled the crossmember.

You can certainly try it the other way and it might very well work. But forewarned is forearmed.

I'd drop the crossmember with the pumpkin attached.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:04 PM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: how much $$ to have a complete ready to bolt in rear carrier instaled..... (The Dude)

The Dude.......any sugestions on removing the crossmember (TIPS) for sombody who has never done it before.......... :flag

Get notified of new replies

To how much $$ to have a complete ready to bolt in rear carrier instaled.....

Quick Reply: how much $$ to have a complete ready to bolt in rear carrier instaled.....