C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Blow Out

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 10:56 AM
Enad
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tire Blow Out

I was heading down the freeway this morning doing about 75 when the right rear tire blew. After some rather creative lane changes I was able to land on the shoulder. The is what it looked like.

The remainder of the tire was last seen doing a Road Runner imitation heading south on I-17. The car actually handled very well on three tires and one rim if you don't mind the sound of quality aluminum being chewed up by pavement.

I could be wrong but I don't think they can patch this.

Notes to self:
1. Start shopping new tires all the way around.
2. Be sure cell phone is charged up before leaving house in Corvette.
3. Buy some new underwear
Old 06-26-2004, 12:05 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Default Re: Tire Blow Out (Enad)

You should try patching it
Check to see if the rim is bent.

Les
Old 06-26-2004, 12:17 PM
DanZR1
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 49 Posts

Your lucky...

I had a left rear tire delaminate on me about 6 years ago on my '72 on the way to Big Bear. It took the fender with it, from the door jam to the rear facia, up to the bonding seam...

Glad your 'Vette didn't suffer the same fate...
Old 06-26-2004, 01:02 PM
Aflac
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Tire Blow Out (DanZR1)

Your lucky...

I had a left rear tire delaminate on me about 6 years ago on my '72 on the way to Big Bear. It took the fender with it, from the door jam to the rear facia, up to the bonding seam...

Glad your 'Vette didn't suffer the same fate...

One of my old bosses had that happen on her 69 'vert......was not a pretty sight! :shocked:
Old 06-26-2004, 01:29 PM
goinbroke
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Tire Blow Out (Aflac)

I actually saw something similar to this happen not long ago on a 4 lane divided interstate. Some kids in a Mustang came past us going about 95.......when it was about 100 yard ahead I see a puff of smoke from the left rear and the whole tire dismounts (intact) from the rim. The tire headed left a a high rate crossed the median and just barely missed an on coming car. The Mustang made it to the shoulder OK. The whole thing was really bizarre looking.
Old 06-26-2004, 01:33 PM
DanZR1
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: Tire Blow Out (Aflac)

No, it wasn't pretty at all... Really made me sick as the 72 had never had any fiberblass damage up to that point.

The good news was BFG paid for the repairs and 4 new tires. They were pretty stand up during the whole deal.

Also learned a valuable lesson. Tires have a 'shelf life'. My tires were 10 years old, no cracks and 75% tread left. The engineer at BFG who examined the tire carcass said the other 3 were close to letting go as well.

Now I replace my tires every 5-6 years regardless of how much 'tread' is left...
Old 06-26-2004, 01:47 PM
w1ctc
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Tire Blow Out (DanZR1)

I had tires that were over 20 yo and, like yours, looked fine. Thanks to
a heads up from the forum, I changed them out before I had any trouble.
The same low miles, old tires thing is a growing problem for the RV and boat trailer crowd. You would think that tire sellers would push the issue for more sales.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:07 PM
73 Vet
Racer

I'm glad you're ok and that there was no further damage to your car. I checked out your website and am interested in the headlight actuation mod you did. I would like to purchase one of the Humphrey valves, but, looking on their site, I don't see the particular valve you have; 1 inlet, 2 outlets, 1 exhaust. Can you give me any further information that would assure I get the right one?

Many thanks!
Old 06-26-2004, 10:10 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Tire Blow Out (73 Vet)

I had that happen to me in a Firebird about 8 years ago, a bit of a hair raising experience.
glad your ok

Steve
Old 06-26-2004, 10:50 PM
Enad
Racer

Default Re: Tire Blow Out (73 Vet)

I was lucky. The car did suffer some minor body damage and I have not checked the wheel yet.

I would like to purchase one of the Humphrey valves, but, looking on their site, I don't see the particular valve you have; 1 inlet, 2 outlets, 1 exhaust. Can you give me any further information that would assure I get the right one?
It's a Humphrey 420. My site showed it incorrectly as a 320. You can find it by typing in 420 in the search box at Humphrey's site. If you want to search other vendors you need a vacuum ready, 12v continous duty, 4 pole directional control valve (or solenoid valve). Let me know if I can help.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:38 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Sorry to hear this Dane. How bad was the damage?

I shouldn't have told you how rare those CE rims are.....Did the rim get messed up???
Old 06-27-2004, 05:52 AM
brooksman9
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor

2. Be sure cell phone is charged up before leaving house in Corvette.
This is a must!!!
Old 06-27-2004, 09:14 AM
73 Vet
Racer

Thank you, that's very helpful. Other question: I also like the LED tail-lights. You show a circuit that includes back-up lights (appears that at least two of the lights are "dual-function"). If so, can you provide more info?
Old 06-27-2004, 10:09 AM
Enad
Racer

Default Re: Tire Blow Out (Desertdawg)

I shouldn't have told you how rare those CE rims are.....Did the rim get messed up???
Ah ah!! Now I know the reason. It wasn't the crap tires it was Murphy's Law.

The rim does not appear bent but it is chewed up on the perimeter. I'm going to take the carcass into a tire shop next week to see what they think.

The ground effects sill pulled through the retaining screw. This should be an easy fix. While under the back I did notice that the perforations on my Dyna Hole mufflers are beginning to merge. Another item to add to the list.

73 Vet
You show a circuit that includes back-up lights (appears that at least two of the lights are "dual-function"). If so, can you provide more info?
Most of the lights are dual purpose in that they are tail/turn-brake combination. However none that I am aware have backup incorporated with taillight like the original. I showed the backup wiring in in case you wish to put in a 4" unit that is strictly backup. I ended up putting separate lights undeneath the car.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:09 PM
73 Vet
Racer

Thanks again. I can't find a resource for the Humphrey Solenoid valve. Where did you purchase yours?
Old 06-28-2004, 01:10 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Wow, It is amazing the car is not damaged.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Blow Out

Quick Reply: Tire Blow Out