C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Windows S L O W...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 02:21 AM
80TexasC3
"Rodstoration &am p;quot; In Progres
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Windows S L O W...

When I put up my electric windows they often need some help with my pushing them up with my hand. Checked into the cause and found that the original grease is gummed up... any suggestion on how to remove this.

Also, could anything else be causing this?
Old 06-26-2004, 02:42 AM
wgc_3
Instructor

Default Re: Electric Windows S L O W... (80TexasC3)

Yea, put your arm into when cranking the ****!
Old 06-26-2004, 03:32 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Shoot the gummy part with WD-40 to free it up, moving the window up and down until it seems to not have any more effect; then shoot it with white lithium grease.

-Steve
Old 06-26-2004, 03:47 AM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

You can pull the door panels off and and completely disassemble the tracks and etc and then clean them up with degreaser and steel wool. Then put on a light coat of the litium grease. Just be sure to mark or scribe where each piece of the tracks are presently at as it affects how the windows work. If you do it this way follow the AIM guidelines and remove the motor also and re grease the gear on it.

The motors could be getting weak, but I would bet on the dirty tracks. My '72 had the same problem with both sides and I did the total tear down, they now work like a charm. It actually took me longer to get the tracks cleaned up than it did to take 'em out and put 'em back. Oh and it's a good time to check and replace the inner seal if it needs it.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:54 AM
brooksman9
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Electric Windows S L O W... (72GACRZR)

Also check the anti rattle cushions. I replaced mine today and got one of them a little tight. Then the window ran up slower than it did before and stopped before the top. I loosened it a little and sprayed inside with some pb blaster and now it goes up faster than before I started.

[Modified by brooksman9, 3:55 AM 6/26/2004]
Old 06-26-2004, 05:57 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Over the years I have had several corvettes with slow windows and it seems that the biggest problem is the big spring on the regulator gets rusty and binds up. Claning and lubing the spring and other mechanical parts hels.. Make sure the motor has a good ground.

[Modified by Larry B., 5:57 AM 6/26/2004]
Old 06-26-2004, 10:04 AM
Star79
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can deal with the kind-of-slow UP. But what can I do about how fast they go DOWN? If you barely nudge the switch they zzzooooommm down. It doesn't hurt when I do it, cause I have "The Touch", but when passengers (read: chicks) go near that switch I worry the windows will shoot out through the bottom of the doors.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:36 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cleaning the tracks would be the first thing to do....if the grease is solidified, that would be an indication of your problem.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:46 AM
Enad
Racer

Default Re: Electric Windows S L O W... (Star79)

I can deal with the kind-of-slow UP. But what can I do about how fast they go DOWN?
I would bet your return spring is either broken or very weak. When I put my spring in backwards it was like it was on steroids going down.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:29 AM
Star79
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Electric Windows S L O W... (Enad)

I can deal with the kind-of-slow UP. But what can I do about how fast they go DOWN?

I would bet your return spring is either broken or very weak. When I put my spring in backwards it was like it was on steroids going down.
Thanks!! I'll add that to the (ever-growing) list of things I'll check when I remove my door panels.
Old 06-26-2004, 03:03 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg

Default Re: Electric Windows S L O W... (Enad)

I suffer from the same problem. I'm guessing the spring I found in the bottom of the door might have something to do with this.

Get notified of new replies

To Electric Windows S L O W...

Quick Reply: Electric Windows S L O W...