C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change from stock to MSD timing question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 09:51 PM
Indynut
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Change from stock to MSD timing question?

Well I've completed my change over from my stock ignition system to the MSD-6AL system. I've also a 3 Step system. Now this distributor I'm using is the stock unit with most of its innner workings removed. I have also added the LARS distributor RECurve kit ( years ago). Anyway, I've been using 36 degrees for setting my timing with the HEI ignition. Now that I've changed over to MSD ignition is this setting correct. I'm hearing what sounds like pinging sorta at wide open throttle. Does anyone have any experience with this conversion? Or is this the normal sounds of an MSD ignition? Seems to pull strong but this noise has me scratchin my head!
Old 06-25-2004, 11:14 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Change from stock to MSD timing question? (Indynut)

I don't think the MSD is making the pinging. You should retard the timing a bit.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:23 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Change from stock to MSD timing question? (AlwaysWave)

The msd might cuase the car to run lean, I have heard something about it. Something about the msd burning the fuel better or something. Maybe someone else has better info.

Get notified of new replies

To Change from stock to MSD timing question?

Quick Reply: Change from stock to MSD timing question?