C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid Lifters?...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 03:01 PM
Custum73
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solid Lifters?...

When I bought my car my buddy mentioned that the motor has solid lifters, so there is a slight knock in the motor. Reading another forum, I again read solid lifters. What are solid lifters and how do they differ from lifters on cars today?
Old 06-25-2004, 03:36 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Solid Lifters?... (Custum73)

In an overhead valve engine the cam shaft activates lifters which in turn move the pushrods which move the rocker arms which open and close the valves.

Years ago there where two types of lifters: hydraulic, which were filled with engine oil and were very good for everyday driving. They were also quiet. The other type of lifter was solid (i.e. it did not fill with oil). Solid lifters have a distinctive sound ( a tapping or clicking) and were used on high performance engines. There reason solid lifters were used was because at sustained high RPM's, hydraulic lifters could collapse since they wasn't enough time between cycles for them to fill up with oil.

The big drawback with solid lifters is the valve lash has to be monitored and periodically adjusted.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:47 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Solid Lifters?... (Custum73)

If you have the orig eng and cam in your 73 you do not have solid lifters, they stopped installing solid lifters in vettes in the 72 LT1 eng.

Get notified of new replies

To Solid Lifters?...

Quick Reply: Solid Lifters?...