C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Cleaner and Valve Cover Braether Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 09:07 AM
Wamplet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Cleaner and Valve Cover Breather Question

I am buying a K&N Xstream open air filter for my '74 L48.

It seems that I have the option of punching out a hole and running the existing hose from the valve cover to it.

I noticed that they sell 599-62-1516(1.25") and 599-62-1160(0.75") at Jegs.
Other brands have similar designs, as well.

First question is should I run my existing hose from the valve cover to the new air cleaner or get one of these breather filters?

I'd kinda like to get a breather filter, because it will look better, with the new filter. I'm just not sure about the measurement. On the valve cover, the hose runs into a plastic or metal fitting and it looks like it's about 1.25" diameter, but if I measure the hoze, the inside diamater of the hose that runs to the current stock air cleaner is about 0.75"

Anybody know what diameter I need to order?

EDIT: Sorry, typo. :o I'm sure there's more.

[Modified by Wamplet, 8:11 AM 6/25/2004]
Old 06-25-2004, 11:17 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Air Cleaner and Valve Cover Breather Question (Wamplet)

No problem using a plug in breather. Run a hose from the other valve cover from your carb vacuum to the PCV valve.
Old 06-26-2004, 01:55 AM
80TexasC3
"Rodstoration &am p;quot; In Progres
Support Corvetteforum!

I agree with the use of a breather vs running th hose... In fact there was thread on this forum a few days ago debating the need for the PCV valve system at all. Interesting discussion...
Old 06-26-2004, 06:07 PM
Wamplet
Intermediate

Default Re: Air Cleaner and Valve Cover Breather Question (80TexasC3)

^ oooh Thanks boss. I'll try to search for it. If you remember anything in the title, let me know. I'll try the obvious in my search like "PCV, breather", etc.

As far as the measurements go, do you know what size I need to order for a 350 stock valve cover breather? The website has 1.25" and 0.75" as the most common radius, i believe, although there are others.

For measuring the radius, am I supposed to remove the entire tube as well as that black piece that fits in the valve cover hole or do i just remove the tube and measure the inner hole within the black piece that fits in the valve cover hole? Or do I just measure the tube? I'm not quite sure what all goes off the valve cover itself, so that is where I am lost at the moment.

It's been raining pretty bad all day, so I have yet to check under the hood yet. I'm going to be building a car port within the next week or two. Currently I just have a water-proof (more like resistant) cover on it. :o
Old 06-27-2004, 01:24 PM
bigbadjoe
3rd Gear

Wamplet

The black piece you are referring to is a gromett.... if you want to measure the valve cover opening you need to remove it...

if you call Jegs and tell them you have stock valve covers they should know which one to order...

if you have a local Autozone, Pep boys, or advance auto parts... just drive over and buy one at the store.... then carefully try and mount it... if you have the wrong size exchange it...

but at retail stores the package should be marked for you as to fitting standard small block chevrolet...

the same thing goes for air cleaners....

I know Advance carries Moroso breathers.... very nice product...

the only thing you will need to do once in a while is clean under the hood as you may get a little blow by using an open breather.. not anything worse than the usual road debris from driving..!

I am new to the forums and I did not want to comment about your carb issues....

I use a new Holley Street Avenger... excellent carb... bolted it on and have not touched it...

you can buy them around $380 ...

good luck
Old 06-27-2004, 02:35 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Air Cleaner and Valve Cover Breather Question (bigbadjoe)

Just a note for those that have to pass emissions testing. An open breather element will not pass most state inspections. The PCV system must be a "closed" system. According to Arizona there is supposed to be a PCV valve in one valve cover with the hose going to the base of the carb. On the other valve cover must be a "closed" breather system. That is a hose or pipe from the valve cover to either a breather element in the stock air cleaner, or to a connection between the air filter and the carb air inlet.

I showed up with my 1978 Chevy truck, passed every part of the emissions test but failed because I had an open breather element. I grabbed the parts from the Vette and put them on there and went back and passed. Then I put the open breather back on again .
Old 06-27-2004, 02:44 PM
73'Vette
Racer

Default Re: Air Cleaner and Valve Cover Breather Question (BSeery)

Is it OK for the engine to put a PCV valve in one valve cover with a hose running to carb vacuum, and then cap off the other valve cover? I'm not worried about emissions, just concerned about the engine functioning OK.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:46 PM
Wamplet
Intermediate

Default Re: Air Cleaner and Valve Cover Breather Question (73'Vette)

ok, I went outside to take out the hose and the grommet, but the hose seems to be caught on something behind the valve cover (inside).

Do I need to remove the valve cover to remove the grommet and pipe?

What is the correct way in removing the hose and grommet?
Old 06-28-2004, 07:23 AM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Air Cleaner and Valve Cover Breather Question (73'Vette)

Is it OK for the engine to put a PCV valve in one valve cover with a hose running to carb vacuum, and then cap off the other valve cover? I'm not worried about emissions, just concerned about the engine functioning OK.
That needs to be open, either a breather or a connection to the air cleaner, in order to allow air into the engine to counter the vacuum of the PCV valve.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:09 PM
Wamplet
Intermediate

Default Re: Air Cleaner and Valve Cover Breather Question (Bobchad)

I just got my air cleaner today from Jegs and if the weather permits, I will see if it fits.

The sales guy on the phone said I should go with the 9"x2.75" ( i think) with drop base, because he wasn't sure if the 14"x3" drop base would bump up against something. I'm thinking the Distributor possibly, because the stock air cleaner is kinda indented, so as not to touch it.

I wanted to ask will it hurt anything running a 9" air cleaner versus a 14" cleaner? I'm not sure how big the stock air filter is, but from what I remember, it looks like it's a bit larger than the 9" that I ordered. On the plus side, If I ever switch manifolds, I figure the smaller cleaner will be good, because of the clearance issues. However, I'm not sure and wanted to get everyone's input. I can always send this one back and go with the 14x3", if it's preferred to have the larger air cleaner. One of the guys from here was kind enough to email me pics and description of his setup the other day and if the 9" air cleaner is a bad idea I may do something like his.

I'm not looking to put it in any contests. I just want to get rid of some of the cruddy old stuff in there.

[Modified by Wamplet, 4:16 PM 6/29/2004]
Old 06-29-2004, 04:44 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a Summit drop base and a K&N 14x3 aircleaner. There is plenty of room.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:33 AM
Wamplet
Intermediate

Default Re: Air Cleaner and Valve Cover Breather Question (Stewart's74)

Been away for a few days. :o

Welp, I got most of the parts. Got 2 grommets for the valve covers and the air cleaner assembly. I am waiting on the valve cover breather before I put it all on. I did manage to see if the air cleaner fits and it did after I did a little work. There is a spark plug wire that runs from the distributor center to something that is bolted onto the manifold. I had to move that forward just a hair, so as not to touch the air cleaner but it looks like everything will fit.

I have a bolt that looks like it needs to replace or be cut and added to the existing one to bolt down the air cleaner. The current long bolt is not tall enough for the wingnut to secure the air cleaner on to pof the carburetor. :o I got no instructions with the 14" that I ordered from Summit , but I still have the 9" air cleaner from Jegs that does have instructions, so I will make a copy before sending it back for a refund.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:56 PM
neoh77
Advanced

Just an FYI to everyone... on my 77 and on my friend's 75 with stock l48 engines we used autozone #4300 which fits the factory grommet. It is a .75" hole just like the pcv valve.

six dollars currently

Spectre Valve Cover Breather Push-In Chrome Plated Steel 0.75 in. O.D. Neck For 1.25 in. Holes

[Modified by neoh77, 7:57 PM 7/7/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Air Cleaner and Valve Cover Braether Question

Quick Reply: Air Cleaner and Valve Cover Braether Question