C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any good retail store brand paint substitutes for Mid America Doe Skin interior paint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 08:11 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default any good retail store brand paint substitutes for Mid America Doe Skin interior paint?

Trying to repaint interior plastic using Mid America Doe Skin paint. I'm not happy with the color nor the ability of the paint to cover the parts. The color is way off of my new Doe Skin doors. I know there is some difference between Doe Skin color as it relates to parts and paint from different manufacturers, but this is way off. To boot each can is $14.00. I would really like to find a substitite from a local retailer if possible. Anyone had any luck?
Old 06-25-2004, 08:16 AM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Try the auto stores

I know what you are saying. I found that there were some not so subtle color differences between cans despite the fact that the code was the same on each can.

I understand that the auto parts stores have the interior paint. I have never looked but suspect that they are basic colors and you will have to try and match a tan to Doe Skin.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:32 AM
79 Midnight Blue L82
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: any good retail store brand paint substitutes for Mid America Doe Skin interior paint?

I was able to very closely match my Doe Skin interior color with paint from AutoZone. I believe the brand was Dupli-Color. I too used the MidAmerica high priced paint and when I ran out I started looking for alternatives which led me to the AutoZone paint area. The colors between the two different brands matched up really well, but, the MidAmerica paint was much thinner and did not fill in the "grain" of the plastic parts near as much.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:21 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: (79 Midnight Blue L82)

I was able to very closely match my Doe Skin interior color with paint from AutoZone. I believe the brand was Dupli-Color. I too used the MidAmerica high priced paint and when I ran out I started looking for alternatives which led me to the AutoZone paint area. The colors between the two different brands matched up really well, but, the MidAmerica paint was much thinner and did not fill in the "grain" of the plastic parts near as much

Do you remember what the specific color is called? I only saw "Sand" color, and it did not look similar to Doe Skin.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:31 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: (Frankenvette)

Why dont you find a local automotive paint retailer? They can match the color. Or, they will most likely have a better selection.
I really like SEM products. Makes stuff like Duplicolor look like crap.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:43 PM
80Xflags
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: any good retail store brand paint substitutes for Doe Skin interior paint? (Frankenvette)

Rust-Oleum makes a color called Sand (code #7771). I found that's a very close match to the 1980 Doe skin color, maybe a tad bit lighter. After seeing how much dye paint it took to get a nice finish on my windshield trim :shocked: , I wasn't about to use that same stuff for my entire seat backing. You can see the seat backs in the pic below. They're painted with Rust-Oleum Sand and the center cosole is painted with Corvette America interior doe skin dye. The only thing with the Rust-Oluem is that it's a gloss finish, but I suppose you could go over it with a coat of clear matte or dull coat . . . I didn't really care so I left it glossy. EDIT: It covers very nicely too, and I used one whole can on both seat backs (including the bottoms and the rails).

Matt

[Modified by 80Xflags, 8:46 PM 6/25/2004]
Old 06-25-2004, 11:05 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default ubstitutes for Mid America Doe Skin interior paint? (Frankenvette)

It's odd that this comes up, as I had the very same situation. I Used 'Plasti-kote FM 8117' which is so close to original that while I had my car judged at a NCRS event last month the judges didn't notice the color. Although, doeskin interior colors can vary vastly from car to car.

Get notified of new replies

To any good retail store brand paint substitutes for Mid America Doe Skin interior paint?

Quick Reply: any good retail store brand paint substitutes for Mid America Doe Skin interior paint?