C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical smoke today ACK! Secondary cooling fan??????

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 01:53 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Electrical smoke today ACK! Secondary cooling fan??????

We cruised the 82 today to a town about 30 miles away, and it stayed about 200 on the water temp the whole way, I let it idle for a few minutes, (outside air temp was about 110) and when the secondary electric fan kicked in at 215 degrees I started to get electrical smoke....I thought ACK !!!!!! I didn't get out and open the hood, but I took off and cooled it off as fast as I could, the smoke went away after about a 1/4 mile, as soon as the water temp dropped back down.

I think the secondary electrical fan is fried. Didn't get to look at when we got home, car was to hot and the sun was going down.

What is the best choice for aftermarket replacement electric fans right now, I might go this route and pull off the motor fan if it's worth it, and it will run cool enough in the desert out here.
Or I might just replace the factory electric motor, and stay stock.....

Suggestions??????
Old 06-25-2004, 06:13 PM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Electrical smoke today ACK! Secondary cooling fan?????? (Desertdawg)

TTT
Old 06-25-2004, 06:19 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Electrical smoke today ACK! Secondary cooling fan?????? (Desertdawg)

Are you sure it's the motor and not the wiring?? the switch is in the pass side head and the wire runs awfully close to the exhaust, most of the connectors I've seen had melted already.
As for replacement, if your vette rarely gets hot enough to turn it on (not taking A/C into account here) I'd just replace the motor with a standard one, they are the same motors as used on the C4 electric fan
Old 06-25-2004, 06:30 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Electrical smoke today ACK! Secondary cooling fan?????? (Twin_Turbo)

So you were driving, saw electrical smoke, so you floored it?!? I would have been pulling at my battery cable immediately! I admire your confidence! I'm glad you didn't have a much worse problem.

It sounds like one of those old WWII movies where an airplane engine catches on fire so they go into a steep dive to extinguish the flames.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:56 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Electrical smoke today ACK! Secondary cooling fan?????? (Jack71)

So you were driving, saw electrical smoke, so you floored it??? I would have been pulling at my battery cable immediately!
I thought the same thing.....
Old 06-25-2004, 09:55 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: Electrical smoke today ACK! Secondary cooling fan?????? (gq82)

So you were driving, saw electrical smoke, so you floored it??? I would have been pulling at my battery cable immediately!

I thought the same thing.....
You guys have never met Dwayne, have you?

I don't know if you can fit in a standard, general purpose aftermarket fan in there or not using the stock brackets. Probably can fit one in.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:52 PM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Electrical smoke today ACK! Secondary cooling fan?????? (ddecart)

Let me defend my actions....

I had been sitting still (waiting for wife to return) and was watching the temp gauge rise, I was pulling out on the street just about the time the temp gauge hit 215 where the fan is supposed to kick in and I smelled the plastic melting smell, electrical stink....

What to do, I figured that the best action was to get the air flowing, and get the secondary fan to shut off....

I was wondering about taking out all the factory fan stuff, and switching over to all electric fans. I think I will stay stock, it has worked great for me so far, even in the 120 degree heat out here. Now I just need to figure out if it's the wiring or the fan motor....Maybe after the honey do's tomorrow I can look into it.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:23 AM
Enad
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dwayne,

My manual shows that switch kicking in at 238 degrees and staying on until 201 degrees. I'm using it to trigger my fans on high mode but I don't think I've ever gotten it there.

Dane

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical smoke today ACK! Secondary cooling fan??????

Quick Reply: Electrical smoke today ACK! Secondary cooling fan??????