C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yearly license plate renewall question... Can they make you pay for skipped years?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 08:59 PM
rob75383
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Yearly license plate renewall question... Can they make you pay for skipped years?

My plates expired last December.
I do know that if I renew my plates in November this year, for example, they will still expire in Dec.

Due to my wife being pregnant, and unemployed, money is a little tight, and I doubt if I'll have the extra cash to buy the flex-glass bumpers and misc. stuff I need.
I figure that I wont renew my plates this year, and just wait 'till next summer.

My co-worker warned me that he had a buddy who did a frame off on his old '57 chevy for 5 years. When it was finally done, and when he went to get the plates for it, they made him pay the license fee for all 5 previous years!!

Has anyone else heard of such a thing?
I figure it'd be cheaper to sign the title over to a wife or sibling, and get the temp plates than it would be to get nailed with paying all that back registration.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:03 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Yearly license plate renewall question... Can they make you pay for skipped years?

When I had my motorcycle in storage for a year I let the registration lapse. Got hit with paying that past year and the late fee.

Check with the local DMV. I new I would have to pay mine.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:08 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Yearly license plate renewall question... Can they make you pay for skipped years? (Robert N)

Check with the local DMV.
I can let mine go for years then go and pay the current year and go driving. Did it with a DD 3 years ago

Steve
Old 06-24-2004, 09:32 PM
78whtshark
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Yearly license plate renewall question... Can they make you pay for skipped years? (stpman)

Some states are greedy like that. Just get new plates (don't renew old plates), or try another clerk or office.

I live in a state once that tried to do that and just saw another clerk, the next day and it was no problem.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:38 PM
biff85ta
Advanced

Default Re: Yearly license plate renewall question... Can they make you pay for skipped years? (78whtshark)

In Illinios if you let them lapse for a whole year you can just get new plates. If you don't let it lapse for a year you get screwed into paying for the months you didn't have plates.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:55 PM
rob75383
Pro

Default Re: Yearly license plate renewall question... Can they make you pay for skipped years? (biff85ta)

Thanks for the replies fellas!
My car isn't really road-worthy, and I was planning on pulling the motor, so there really is no need for me to go out and get the license now.
I was planning on getting new plates eventually anyway, since mine are the old design, and getting quite shabby, but I would like to prevent them from nailing me with a $78 fee twice.
I'm gonna go look online to see what's what. Otherwise, I'm gonna go to the local DMV next Monday, and see what the scoop is.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:08 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: Yearly license plate renewall question...

Not in Michigan. My father-in-law forgot to renew one year and didn't realise until he went to renew the next year. They told him he got a freebie for the past year.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:59 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: Yearly license plate renewall question... Can they make you pay for skipped year

State Farm tried to charge me for past insurance!

Old 06-25-2004, 10:24 AM
1FUNVET
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Yearly license plate renewall question...

1. Try calling yout MVA and seeing what they say

2. Turn in tags and get tags later

3. Keep tags and then get new ones - when MVA asked for the old ones say you have no idea where they are.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:27 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Yearly license plate renewall question... Can they make you pay for skipped year (Matt Gruber)

In Tennessee you have to sign an affidavit that the car was not on the road and you can skip years.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:38 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Yearly license plate renewall question... Can they make you pay for skipped year (markdtn)

In Tennessee you have to sign an affidavit that the car was not on the road and you can skip years.
That's what I had to do here in Mississippi once...for a 69 Camaro I used to have.

Brett
Old 06-25-2004, 10:56 AM
427basketcase
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Yearly license plate renewall question... Can they make you pay for skipped years?

In California you pay a one time fee of $10.00 for a "Non Op" then you can ignore registration for years until you are ready to put it back on the road and only pay for that year. That covers you for storing an "Unregistered" car and risking impound. (Stupid code law passed a few years back)
Old 06-25-2004, 12:45 PM
J R C
Racer

Default Re: Yearly license plate renewall question... Can they make you pay for ...

Here is the main IL site for info on plates, etc.
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/

If you expect to continue to keep it if off the road and it's the "old" series I doubt you'll even need to surrender them ... notice you have a '75 which still requires emissions testing and the form you get to have it retested has a check box to inform them that it's off the road ... if you send that in it will automatically take your car off the auto renewals. I've never heard anyone getting hit for "back" renewals in IL ... I think that they would just treat it as a new registration. Now if you wanted to keep your old plate number (and it was still available) they might try to get you to pay for something but I doubt it ...

Get notified of new replies

To Yearly license plate renewall question... Can they make you pay for skipped years?

Quick Reply: Yearly license plate renewall question... Can they make you pay for skipped years?