C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N Air filter-worth the money

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 05:35 PM
COMMANDER370
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Air filter-worth the money

Are they worth the money and do they help performance?
Old 06-24-2004, 05:43 PM
80TexasC3
"Rodstoration &am p;quot; In Progres
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: K&N Air filter-worth the money (COMMANDER370)

Have not dyno'ed or read any articles.. but the "seat of my pants" dyno says it helped.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:51 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw a dyno of a Dodge Ram 1500 with a 4.7L V8 the other day. They did 3 runs: one with stock air filter, one with no air filter, and one with a K&N filter.

No difference between the 3 runs. Draw your own conclusions.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:37 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: K&N Air filter-worth the money (page62)

For what it's worth, I see about a 1 mpg improvement highway driving. Perfprmance and around town mpg seem's the same.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:46 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: K&N Air filter-worth the money (AlwaysWave)

If your Air cleaner is open then you may not notice any improvement in performance . I like the fact that you can clean them ad re-oil them so you never need to replace it.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:22 PM
L79vette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: K&N Air filter-worth the money (Larry B.)

On the chassis dyno I picked up 2HP and 3lb-ft, which is within the repeatability limits of the machine. You would have to average several runs both ways to know if there was anything there at all.

But, I have a 14x3 open element, so it isn't surprising. If you have a very low profile filter, you might see a significant (or at least measurable) gain.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:22 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: K&N Air filter-worth the money (page62)

I saw a dyno of a Dodge Ram 1500 with a 4.7L V8 the other day. They did 3 runs: one with stock air filter, one with no air filter, and one with a K&N filter.

CHP did a simlar test with other filters a year or so back. K & N offered no real advantage other than re-usability.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:43 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: K&N Air filter-worth the money (80TexasC3)

Have not dyno'ed or read any articles.. but the "seat of my pants" dyno says it helped.
I also added MSD Super Conducter wires and a MSD Blaster coil. All said there was a NOTICEABLE increase in performance.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:50 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: K&N Air filter-worth the money (Jughead)

[QUOTE]I saw a dyno of a Dodge Ram 1500 with a 4.7L V8 the other day. They did 3 runs: one with stock air filter, one with no air filter, and one with a K&N filter.

CHP did a simlar test with other filters a year or so back. K & N offered no real advantage other than re-usability.[/QUOI have a Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.9L and a K&N filter charger. I will tell you that my MPG increased.
That makes the filter worth it when you add gas prices and filter replacement costs over the years.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:21 PM
mrcorvette79
Advanced

Like most everyone else has stated, Slightly noticable in the seat, great for maintenance, decent looking and worth the one time cost.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:39 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: K&N Air filter-worth the money (mrcorvette79)

I have one and I don't think they are worth the money. No difference that I can tell, and they are expensive. Even more expensive if you buy the equipment to clean and recharge it so I can use it "forever" Air filters are cheap. And one more thing - if you are going to use it continuously, it is possible that the K&N allows more dirt into your engine.

[Modified by PRND21, 8:39 PM 6/24/2004]
Old 06-24-2004, 08:48 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Are they worth the money and do they help performance?
No
Old 06-24-2004, 09:01 PM
NJ 76 Project
Instructor

Default Re: K&N Air filter-worth the money (QuickVet)

I have always put them in my daily driver's and toys and been satisfied. Small MPG improvment and a few HP (especially when done with the open element instead of the airbox). However... for $4.95 for a purolator toss-away I will stick with that on the Vette. Just my 2 cents
Old 06-24-2004, 09:57 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: K&N Air filter-worth the money (PRND21)

I have one and I don't think they are worth the money. No difference that I can tell, and they are expensive. Even more expensive if you buy the equipment to clean and recharge it so I can use it "forever" Air filters are cheap. And one more thing - if you are going to use it continuously, it is possible that the K&N allows more dirt into your engine.
[Modified by PRND21, 8:39 PM 6/24/2004]
Old 06-24-2004, 11:54 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: K&N Air filter-worth the money (427V8)

I disagree. How can a K&N filter allow dirt to pass anymore than a stock filter?

I agree that in some vehicles you won't see any performance or efficiency gains, BUT in some applications you will see a gain. Just depends.

The main reason I use them is for the reusability. Some stock air filters cost between $20-30 each. The most expensive K&N drop in replacement filter I have seen is about $80. You do the math.

Harley uses K&N filters in the hi perfomance air cleaner kits available for all models. Factory specified, warranty friendly.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:06 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Default Re: K&N Air filter-worth the money (LAvetteman)

The main reason I use them is for the reusability. Some stock air filters cost between $20-30 each. The most expensive K&N drop in replacement filter I have seen is about $80. You do the math.

I am with Vetteman on this one. The reusability is the key factor in using a K&N filter over regular filters.
Old 06-26-2004, 12:33 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Re: K&N Air filter-worth the money (Sigforty)

kn lets more air in thus more dirt also, but that is the purpose of the oil to catch the dirt, ever wonder why GM quit the use of this on the 427-435 67-69 cars ??? save your money and just replace with quality filters like you should and you will run just as fast and cleaner.

Get notified of new replies

To K&N Air filter-worth the money

Old 06-26-2004, 03:06 AM
rob75383
Pro

Default Re: K&N Air filter-worth the money (LT1driver)

I've seen some scary websites devoted to this very arguement... In fact I got 'em from this exact forum, about a year ago...
Some ricer kid went out and set up a comparison study using his version of the scientific method.
One of us actually had a great comeback to the K&N re-usability arguement. He had a table showing the cost comparison between a k&n and a plain pep-boys or napa air filter.
He showed that buying the reuseable filter was expensive, and that the cost of buying the filter cleaners and oils and oiling the filter once a year, made them resuseable filter more expensive than the throwaways. This was shown over a 10 year period, and I don't doubt his logic or math. I do doubt how often he was estimating that people need to purchase new oil treatments, though.

One other thing the ricer kid showed with his tests, is that a plain paper element filter, given X many ounces of fine dirt to catch, still flowed well. As for the K&n filter, this kid's tests showed that the filter's performance was greatly reduced when the filter was clogged with the same amount of fine dirt given to the paper filter.

I've had my K&N 14x3 filter for about 5 years now with no problems, and I've had the x-treme flow lid for maybe 2-3 years.
I think this debate will never truly be settled, but either way, if I go with paper or cotton, I'm still gonna keep that x-treme flow lid on top.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:58 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: K&N Air filter-worth the money ('75 383 ElkGrove)

One advantage rarey mentioned is looks. When the K&N becomes dirt it still looks relativly good. When a paper filter becomes dirty it looks like crap, discolored paper, stains. Nothing worse than a car with one of those filthy looking paper filters.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:47 AM
SpyderD
Pro

Default Re: K&N Air filter-worth the money ('75 383 ElkGrove)

Some ricer kid went out and set up a comparison study using his version of the scientific method.
One of us actually had a great comeback to the K&N re-usability arguement. He had a table showing the cost comparison between a k&n and a plain pep-boys or napa air filter.
He showed that buying the reuseable filter was expensive, and that the cost of buying the filter cleaners and oils and oiling the filter once a year, made them resuseable filter more expensive than the throwaways. This was shown over a 10 year period, and I don't doubt his logic or math
If he oiled it once a year than his study was flawed, but that's a ricer for you. According to K&N instructions you only need to re-oil it every 50,000 miles or so. I've had one on my Mitsubishi for about 30,000 miles without cleaning. I've heard it actually flows better the dirtier it gets.

Quick Reply: K&N Air filter-worth the money