C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Wheel Bearing Lube

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 04:09 PM
captras
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Rear Wheel Bearing Lube

I have acquired the tool for greasing the rear bearings on my 75. It is a small round plastic tool with a grease fitting on it. However, there are no instructions regarding its use. Does, anyone know how to utilize this thing?

Thanks

Old 06-24-2004, 05:07 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Rear Wheel Bearing Lube (captras)

Everyone says not to do it, it will just press dirt into the bearing and at best will only grease the outer bearing. I have that same tool and never used after reading the posts.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:12 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Rear Wheel Bearing Lube (Fevre)

It's like the Chevy tool J-24488 for the job. Chevy says the rear wheel bearings are supposed to be lubed every 30,000 miles w/ it.

Try search.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:57 PM
gkvetteuno
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Re: Rear Wheel Bearing Lube (captras)

FWIW, I have been hearing about this tool for what seems like at least 25, maybe 30 years and have yet to hear any rave reviews where someone has used it for 300,000 miles without bearing problems. However, I have consistently heard that it only greases the inner bearing and does little for the outer bearing. Also that it can cause the outer seal to unseat which would be real bad for both bearings.

I have acquired the tool for greasing the rear bearings on my 75. It is a small round plastic tool with a grease fitting on it. However, there are no instructions regarding its use. Does, anyone know how to utilize this thing?

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Wheel Bearing Lube

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Bearing Lube