C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Block Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 02:15 PM
fastpig
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Big Block Radiator

I got some questions about the big block radiators. My 72' originally came with a small block but now I'm replacing it with a a big block 427 which should make some where in the area of 550 hp. When switching to a big block radiator do you have to replace the radiator core support with a big block core support ? Is that all you have to do is switch the support or is there other modifications to go with it ? I suppose I couldn't get by with the small block set-up and an aftermarket small block radiator ?
Old 06-24-2004, 02:25 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Big Block Radiator (fastpig)

I have a fairly new copper/brass bigblock rad I took out to make way for an alum unit from Dewitt. Just sumpn for ya to think about....

Brett
Old 06-24-2004, 02:58 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When I switched to the bigblock I tried the small block radiator but found the heat gage creeping up and it wouldn't come down.
I replace it with a griffin 2 row 3 inch aluminum rad and never had a problem since.
To me the rad supports are the same since they clamp on the tank, not the core and a 3 inch rad has the same tanks as a 2 core rad.
It should work.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:06 PM
Todbo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Big Block Radiator (norvalwilhelm)

becool makes a rad for BB that fits on the small block support , i think it supports upto 600 HP, summit carries it.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:24 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Big Block Radiator (Todbo)

Some small block cars had aluminum radiators, unless it is a ZR-1 car (which had the L88 aluminum radiator) the radiator need to be changed. The LT-1, LS-5 (454) and C-60 (air conditioned) Vettes had the copper/brass radiator. DeWitts makes the best and actually most reasonably priced aluminum replacement radiator for the copper/brass Vettes (he's a forum sponser also!) I just looked at his latest offering at my buddies shop and my perfectly decent factory LT-1 radiator is going to be replaced with one of his exact replica radiators (niether the Griffin or BeCool units look anything like a stock radiator.) DeWitts make the best quality and is a Corvette community supporter. DeWitts only makes replacement Corvette radiators, NOTHING ELSE! (oh, I forgot, he make the best storage compartment replacement parts.) I am not a friend or do I get any money/discounts from DeWitt's, I just like to see quality products supported by the Corvette community. No one can say they make Corvette radiators from factory Harrison tooling except Tom DeWitt!
Old 06-24-2004, 05:27 PM
467-Ratman
Burning Brakes

My BeCool radiator fit right in place of my old small block radiator and its the biggest one they make. I am running Spal fans, works great.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:06 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

Default Re: Big Block Radiator (467-Ratman)

I agree with SolidLT1. I bought my Griffin and Spal fans from Tom Dewitt. He is definitely one of the good guys and a forum supporter. Absolutely terrific to deal with.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:14 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Big Block Radiator (69ttop502)

I want to clarify that the DeWitt copper/brass aluminum replacement IS EXACTLY like the the factory radiator in looks. You may be able to get a deal from Tom on the Griffin radiator if he has any left but, I would get his new aluminum copper/brass replacement radiator (i'm looking at the 3-5 lbs of weight that will come off my overworked front tires at the autocross races.)
Old 06-25-2004, 03:17 PM
fastpig
Instructor

Thanks for all the info !!! This forum is great....
Old 06-25-2004, 03:44 PM
INTIMIDATOR ZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Big Block Radiator (467-Ratman)

My BeCool radiator fit right in place of my old small block radiator and its the biggest one they make. I am running twin Flex-a-lite fans, works great.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:50 PM
sjr1971
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My '71 BB has a Winton rad. I had it re-cored. The rad shop owner said it was original eq. Personnally, I never heard of Winton, but I hope the name [ if I'm spelling it right] helps.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:35 PM
Super Stock
Instructor

Default Re: Big Block Radiator (sjr1971)

I am extremely satisfied with Tom Dewitt's aluminum for my BB. Good quality and perfect fit.

Get notified of new replies

To Big Block Radiator

Quick Reply: Big Block Radiator