C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ground problem, I need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 02:02 PM
C3cadet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ground problem, I need suggestions

Thanks to Big Fish I located my ground problem. When I took off the driver's side kick panel there was no ground wire to be found. As my basic problem is that my instruments don't work, this seems to fit the problem. SO, now what do I do? Take out the instrument panel and create a ground? If so, how is this done? The radio works, as does the ampmeter, everything else is dead (including tach-however the speedo works).

Old 06-24-2004, 04:38 PM
dtengle
Instructor

Default Re: Ground problem, I need suggestions (C3cadet)

I too have a ground problem and I don't know where it is. If I let the car sit for about a day or so it will not start, i.e. the battery is dead but when it running I have no problems at all. :mad
Old 06-24-2004, 06:57 PM
C3cadet
Intermediate

Default Re: Ground problem, I need suggestions (dtengle)

I too have a ground problem and I don't know where it is. If I let the car sit for about a day or so it will not start, i.e. the battery is dead but when it running I have no problems at all. :mad
I see three possiblites:
1. You need a new battery, old ones won't hold a charge.
2. Your alternator is not working properly.
3. You have a short.

Try an ampmeter on the battery when everything is turned off on the car to see if there is a short and that short is drawing current.
Buy a quick dis-connect and disconnect the battery every time you shut the car off.
Buy a new battery.
Have your alternator rebuilt.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:02 AM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Ground problem, I need suggestions (C3cadet)

Thanks to Big Fish I located my ground problem. When I took off the driver's side kick panel there was no ground wire to be found. As my basic problem is that my instruments don't work, this seems to fit the problem. SO, now what do I do? Take out the instrument panel and create a ground? If so, how is this done? The radio works, as does the ampmeter, everything else is dead (including tach-however the speedo works).

That makes since, ampmeter doesn't use a ground. Radio is probably getting its ground from the antenna, and naturally the speedo is cable driven.

Get notified of new replies

To Ground problem, I need suggestions

Quick Reply: Ground problem, I need suggestions