C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking About Engine Choices

Old 06-24-2004, 04:09 AM
chicken's73sting
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking About Engine Choices!?!?!

Here's the deal, while im out here in sunny southern california, a few friends of mine offered to start working on my car and im kind of having a toss up on what to do for an engine. The car still has the 2 bolt main, 190hp L48 in it now and i want that out.
I really want to keep a small block in it only because i think it would be more cost effective for me to do that. But of course, i want BIG power, im looking around the 545-550 area, and i also plan on fuel injecting the car as well. I know i have plenty of options and i also know that this number is pretty easily obtainable with the right amount of $$$. But if i'm going to spend that much money to get 550hp would it just be cheaper to slap a big block in it? I appreciate all the feedback i get on this, since i trust and value all of your opinions, thanks for your help-Danny

P.S.- for all of you high HP lovers like myself, what are you running, and honestly how do you like it. I do plan on driving this car alot, and want to know how the cars react..etc..etc. Thanks again

[Modified by chicken's73sting, 12:35 AM 6/25/2004]
Old 07-08-2004, 06:32 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Go Big!
Old 07-08-2004, 06:48 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Cubic inches is the easiest and most cost effective way. You are going to have to put in some $$$ to get 550 out of a small block. Drop in a crate 502 and you are almost there.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:26 PM
79ls1
Racer

You'll have to spend some serious beanage for that kind of power from a SB. I might be wrong, but I'd think that the cam would have to be so big and the compression so high that it would barely be streetable. If it's raw power you want, I'd do the BB, but that will also hurt your handling because of the weight, or so I've heard (never driven a BB 'vette) Another option is LT-1 or LS-1. You can put 350hp+ on the ground without much trouble, get decent fuel economy, pass emissions (here in Ky) and is very well mannered. Just my .02. Good luck.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:08 PM
checklst
Racer

Any time you approach 500 hp on a SB you are looking at serious $ but with money aside they also have poor to no street manners.

A ZZ450 or AFR462 crate motor would really wake up your performance, and still be somewhat street able, and not drive you crazy with the install.

Although if 500 hp is what you want, a built up 454 or a 502 is what you will need. You really need to set a budget for Transmission and drive train up grades as well with both types of hp increases in this range
Old 07-08-2004, 08:32 PM
SpyderD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing is, 450 HP is very doable and relatively cheap on a small block, after that that costs per every horsepower of increase skyrockets and the law of diminishing returns apply, and you are talking about big cams, high compression, and daily reliability and drivability go out the window.
The general rule I always hear is keep it to no more than 1 (or maybe 1.25 at max) HP per cubic inch for a street engine.
So my humbe advice is to keep the small block because you just can't beat it for economical horsepower, stroke it out if you want, build it up to 400HP, no more than 450HP. Add nitrous if you just have to say you have up to 550HP (or lie to your friends and tell them you have a 550HP engine.)
Or, of course, go for the big block.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:36 PM
gsfgf
Pro

There is a Stroker with 500 hp over at enginefactory for 8k loaded. Also, i saw a 454 smallblock pushing 625+ hp for 14K. http://www.badasscars.com/engineprices/chevsb.html
Old 07-08-2004, 10:03 PM
jpatrick636
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it has 4 wheels, put a big block in it.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:15 PM
matchframe
Pro

I vote for the Big Block!

That is what I am doing right now. I am shooting for the 500 HP range, and should easily get it without serious bucks.

As far as weight, get aluminum heads, and induction... carb or EFI, and you are not much heavier than a stock small block with iron heads, and intake.

The pin-you-to-the-seat torque that is natural with a Big Block will make it all worthwhile!

www.bigdogvettes.com
Old 07-08-2004, 10:31 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I am in that power neighbourhood with my 406ci. It is gonna cost you alot of money, it's easy to 400HP but not so easy from there up for a small block.

But contrary to popular belief with a solid roller cam I can cruise around at 40mph in 4th gear at 1500 rpm with a 3.08 rear end and single plane intake no problem. One you hit 3000RPM hang on.

That's the beauty of the roller cam, in the past if you wanted big power out of a small block with a flat tappet cam it would cost you " streetability" welll not any more, it drives just like a normal car until you get on it, you can spin the tires at 50mph

* EDIT- Actually what I said applies to a 406ci and maybe a 383 stroker, the power level you are talking about for 350-355ci would make it a little twitchy on the street.

Last edited by MotorHead; 07-09-2004 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:51 PM
humiliategravity
Instructor

Originally Posted by gsfgf
There is a Stroker with 500 hp over at enginefactory for 8k loaded. Also, i saw a 454 smallblock pushing 625+ hp for 14K. http://www.badasscars.com/engineprices/chevsb.html
I agree, go for the 383 stroker. I've got a 73 with the 190 hp L-48 as well, and you're right - it has to go. I'm doing the same debate with engines and the 383 seems pretty hard to beat, especially for low-end torque gains. You should be able to clear 500 hp with a good set of heads and an aggressive cam. Just make sure to use forged pistons & rods... the internet is filled with horror stories of cracked cast and hypereutectic components on strokers.

Let me know what you decide! I'll be pulling mine soon.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:18 AM
79ls1
Racer

383 is great. But there is one thing to think about. Rod angularity and how close the oil rings are to the pins. Maybe there have been advancements since I looked into it, but the last I saw, 383's tend to wear out pistons and burn oil after a while. Great bracket motor, but it wouldn't be my first choice for street longevity. The same for Ford 347's and Windsor based 427's. I am in the process of putting a LS-1 with a 4L60E trans from a '98 T/A into my 79. It's really not that bad and since it's becoming a more popular option, there are more people making the things needed for the swap. By the time I will be done, I will have about 1K more in it total than if I just bought a ZZ450 crate and kept the TH350. They respond exceptionally well to mods, save weight, and good fuel economy if you don't get crazy with the cam. Take a look at Scooter70's video, he just got his running. Barring that, if you want a daily driver that will last for years with that kind of power, I'd stay away from a stroker and get the BB.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:15 PM
#1 TA WS-6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 73 also and i am building a 72 LS6 for mine. Its already bored and stroked to about 509ci. I am shooting a little higher for horsepower though. Around 700hp for me. Manly becouse i already have the ls6 just chilin in my garage.

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking About Engine Choices

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking About Engine Choices