C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo System for Vette.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 03:05 AM
vttedrm
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stereo System for Vette.

I'm going to buy a system for my Vette. I'm leaving the Delco in place and will put an MP3 player in one of the three compartments.

What do you guys suggest? What sounds good! I'm not looking to rattle the licence plate of the car. I just want to be able to shift up the gears into 4th and travel down the highway at 75 mph with the T-tops off and not listen to the L82 (well sometimes I do) and wind.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:15 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Stereo System for Vette. (vttedrm)

wind/road noise is the biggest reason I don't care for auto sound....can't hear crap when driving, it just turns into more noise I can live without....

GENE
Old 06-24-2004, 03:41 AM
Pauld
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Stereo System for Vette. (mrvette)

wind/road noise is the biggest reason I don't care for auto sound....can't hear crap when driving, it just turns into more noise I can live without....

GENE
Old 06-24-2004, 03:52 AM
RHD '68 L89
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Stereo System for Vette. (Pauld)

Gotta have some tunes when you are cruisin!

Old 06-24-2004, 05:57 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Stereo System for Vette. (RHD '68 L89)

I put 2 sets of 4X6's in the front, (1 set in the dash and 1 set in behind the kick panels where the body mount bolt access hole is) and a pair of Fosgate 4X6's in the back corners. Sounds pretty good. Still need to add a sub but am kind of on the fence as far as what to put in without taking up all of my cargo space in the back.

-Justin
Old 06-24-2004, 10:22 AM
gsfgf
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Stereo System for Vette. (Dalannex)

Pioneer stuff is good and a good deal. I'd use them for everything but the subs where i'd get Kicker SoloBarics (the square subs) which sound really great (even with small subs) and are compact.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:47 PM
Jay M
Drifting

I have the stock radio in place just for looks, and a real system hidden. What I did was very expensive, but sounds great. Maybe yoiu can take some of my ideas.

Here's what I did:
I wanted XM. XM in a Corvette is nice because the antenna can be mounted under the fiberglass

I also wanted an MP3 player. I used an iRiver IHP 120 portable with a 20gig hard drive. That will easily hold ALL of my albums

I wanted high end speakers that could be hidden behind the stock kick pannels. I used CDT HD42 component speakers.

Those small speakers required a sub, I used a 10" elemental Design sub for it's sound quality and it's ability to work well in a small enclosure.

I wanted a good solid amp, I chose a high end Soundstream Vangogh 500watt 4 channel amp.

I thought I would need serious EQ to compensate for a poorly designed interior (poor for sound quality that is), So I got an Audio Control DQX digital EQ and crossover with memory presets.

I also needed a volume control since i wasn't using a head unit. I found a discontinued controler from Audio Control, the MVC (master volume control)

I also needed an a/b switch to switch between XM and MP3. I found a switch from Dave Navone to do the job.

I keep the MP3 player locked in the center compartment and its remote is mounted in the center console along with the XM controller and the toggel switch that controls the a/b switch. The volume **** is mounted on the center console near the window button.

I used the "convenience console" from Corvette Pacifica to hide the XM and MP3 controls.

Old 06-24-2004, 12:53 PM
80TexasC3
"Rodstoration &am p;quot; In Progres
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Stereo System for Vette. (Jay M)

NICE!!!!
Old 06-24-2004, 05:49 PM
mlub
Racer

Default Re: Stereo System for Vette. (80TexasC3)

I have a Pioneer CD/MP3 deck, 2 boston acoustic 6x9's in the back and 5in. where the stock speakers were in the front, and a 10 in. alpine woofer in a semibandpass right behind my seat. It can get louder than i'd ever need it to be...I'd say do the 6x9s in the back and 5's in the front and it'll be plenty loud.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:17 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Default Re: Stereo System for Vette. (mlub)

I have a Pioneer CD/MP3 deck, 2 boston acoustic 6x9's in the back and 5in. where the stock speakers were in the front, and a 10 in. alpine woofer in a semibandpass right behind my seat. It can get louder than i'd ever need it to be...I'd say do the 6x9s in the back and 5's in the front and it'll be plenty loud.
but get two 10" subs...you'll be happy you did, I know I am!!
Old 06-24-2004, 06:26 PM
bertmeister
Pro

Default Re: Stereo System for Vette. (AGVI)

I just put a Sony CD/MP3 receiver with XM controls, Boston Acoustic Speakers 4X6 in the front, and 6X9 in the back. I'm very happy with the quality and the sound.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:28 PM
L4670Vette
3rd Gear

The problem I have had is to fine one that doesn’t take up all the room behind the seats on my ’70 Coupe. When I am out and about I like to take out the back window and t-tops and store them back there... makes me wonder if there is any factory-type that will fit back there, have good sound, and still have room for the tops and window.

BTW I put the 10-CD changer in the passenger-side compartment… hey, I have not spare… don’t need a jack…

Later,
Old 06-24-2004, 07:53 PM
cryzko
Racer

Default 77 vette

i fiberglassed one 10" 10w6v2 jl audio in the back upper corners of my 77. i will be installing 6 1/4''s possible in the doors and 4"s in the dash with some tweets..... i'm redesigning my whole interior and prolly gonna make an amp rack in the dash some how........ i have 1 chrome ppi 2600 for the subs and 1 chrome 6600 for the rest....... the audio/interior project is on hold until i get my rear suspension done and get my rims/tires........ ohhh yeah, i dynomatted the whole interior to block heat and vibration........

cryzko
detroit
Old 06-24-2004, 10:53 PM
vttedrm
Safety Car

Default Re: Stereo System for Vette. (Jay M)

Thanks everyone for all the input. JayM, that's a heck of a system. thanks for the pics.

Get notified of new replies

To Stereo System for Vette.

Quick Reply: Stereo System for Vette.