C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've had it with after market parts!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 07:46 PM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default I've had it with after market parts!!!!!!!!!!

:mad I'm not naming anyone yet but almost every aftermarket part I've put on this car (which totals about $6,000 worth) doesn't fit right, bend this, drill that, heat this, modify that.

Can't anyone make a part that bolts on? And of course they all close at 5:00 pm like there customers only work on cars during the weekdays before 5:00 pm.....Right!!! which means I've got to call tommorrow. And these parts are from name brand dealers.

The latest is obviously a design flaw. A part that should have an opening of 1 3/4 inch has an opening of 1 1/2 (yes I still have the old part even though I got charged a large core charge) which means another part doesnt have room to be installed. :mad :mad :mad

Yes they will probably make it right because they have a good rep but what about all the time spent installing it 3 times already and thinking I was 'nt doing it right? Now I just have to wait 5-7 business days after I call them tommorrow and do it 2 more times (once to remove and one more time to reinstall) Sorry had to vent :mad :mad :mad

Add to that several buggered threads!

[Modified by micks69, 8:01 PM 6/23/2004]
Old 06-23-2004, 08:06 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: I've had it with after market parts!!!!!!!!!! (micks69)

Worst part is that the cheap aftermarket stuff I've bought for my beater car fits and works perfectly. Seems as soon as it says "Corvette" on it the part gets 10x as expensive and won't fit.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:23 PM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Default Re: I've had it with after market parts!!!!!!!!!! (zwede)

I never have a problem with autozone (or similar) parts only these expensive a few places only parts.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:36 PM
ugman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After market interior stuff sucks. I spent more money than I will admit to on parts (bezels, etc.) that I had to dremel to death to get them to fit. Nothing is more annoying than paying more and getting less! :mad
Old 06-23-2004, 09:39 PM
olouieo
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: I've had it with after market parts!!!!!!!!!! (zwede)

Worst part is that the cheap aftermarket stuff I've bought for my beater car fits and works perfectly. Seems as soon as it says "Corvette" on it the part gets 10x as expensive and won't fit.

Old 06-23-2004, 09:39 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

never had any problems with aftermarket stuff.. My car is equipped with 90% aftermarket stuff...
Old 06-23-2004, 09:48 PM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Default Re: I've had it with after market parts!!!!!!!!!! (ugman)

After market interior stuff sucks. I spent more money than I will admit to on parts (bezels, etc.) that I had to dremel to death to get them to fit. Nothing is more annoying than paying more and getting less! :mad

Old 06-23-2004, 09:58 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

there is a lot of junk out there. I don't know how many things i've bought and then after a year or so put the original part back on.

tried 2 holly carbs and went back to Q-jet, IMHO hollys are junk
foam style air cleaner back to original, foam deteriorates and falls into carb.
flex fans are junk
electric fans on radiator were junk, this is back in the early 80s
some of the early urethane bushings were junk, they cracked split apart and totally fell out of the a-arm

Old 06-23-2004, 10:16 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: I've had it with after market parts!!!!!!!!!! (turtlevette)

I have to say every mechanical part I have ever bought has fit fine, and I have bought a lot of them. Interior soft trim parts are a real bitch though (I have bought a lot of these too). I feel your pain.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:51 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: I've had it with after market parts!!!!!!!!!! (A C)

I've had no problems with mechanical parts. Its the interior stuff that is a challenge. I installed an aftermarket shifter console and leather shifter boot. The design of the boot and the console were different than original. When you try to mount two aftermarket interior parts together you really start using foul language. The problem was compounded twice.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:52 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Watch out for the Chinese parts (brake rotors, lower shock mounts, etc) I bought some lower shock mounts from a very reputable supplier that were Chinese. The theads pulled right off at about 30 ft/lbs, specs called for 70 ft/lbs if I remember correctly. I think those mounts were soft enough to allow shearing off and having your rear wheels tuck inside the body. I even suggested the supplier do a recall for safety concerns, they did promptly refund me, but no recall. :mad
Old 06-23-2004, 11:00 PM
killervette666
Drifting

Default Re: I've had it with after market parts!!!!!!!!!! (Big Fish)

all of my aftermarket stuff so far has fit fine (knock on wood) for me, i have so far replaced my front calipers, carb and intake, and im soon going to do the rear suspension, its too bad that sometimes people get these parts which dont fit or break down, i hope everything will turn out for the best for you
Old 06-23-2004, 11:29 PM
Russ Bellinis
Racer

Default Re: I've had it with after market parts!!!!!!!!!! (Big Fish)

Watch out for the Chinese parts (brake rotors, lower shock mounts, etc) I bought some lower shock mounts from a very reputable supplier that were Chinese. The theads pulled right off at about 30 ft/lbs, specs called for 70 ft/lbs if I remember correctly. I think those mounts were soft enough to allow shearing off and having your rear wheels tuck inside the body. I even suggested the supplier do a recall for safety concerns, they did promptly refund me, but no recall. :mad
Something that is that dangerous should be dealt with. I would write them a letter describing the exact shortcoming and make a copy for the NHTSB. Let them know you are sending it to the NHTSB.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:49 PM
NJ 76 Project
Instructor

Default Re: I've had it with after market parts!!!!!!!!!! (Russ Bellinis)

I just did the entire cooling system on the 76 with parts from Napa (this is the driver...not the show car!) and everything was perfect. No leaks, perfect fit. Water pump, thermostat, all hoses, belts, fan clutch, etc. I was worried about using aftermarket...but the fine folks of the forum suggested Napa and I was 100% satisfied (plus saving a enough to put money toward the aftermarket side pipes I will be putting on ) I will agree on small parts for trim and items like that though... get em used from for Carlisle or your local Chevy dealer!
Old 06-24-2004, 06:40 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

I try to buy GM parts if possible but that doesn't assure you of high quality as many replacement parts are made inChina, Mexico or who knows where. Since AC Delco is no longer a GM owned corp we are starting to see a lot of poor quality junk from them too. They are dropping certain items along the way which I am sure will affect our cars.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:49 PM
adamdinat
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: I've had it with after market parts!!!!!!!!!! (Frankenvette)

I've had no problems with mechanical parts. Its the interior stuff that is a challenge. I installed an aftermarket shifter console and leather shifter boot. The design of the boot and the console were different than original. When you try to mount two aftermarket interior parts together you really start using foul language. The problem was compounded twice.

All of the mechanical metal parts I have used are ok. My interior parts all needed to be modified and fit together.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:51 PM
darrentpi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea e-brake consols, are useless!

Get notified of new replies

To I've had it with after market parts!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-09-2004, 03:56 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

there's a solution, just install aftermarket stuff that is not intended to be bolt on, you will never be disappointed if it won't fit properly, it's not meant to fit
Old 07-09-2004, 05:01 PM
1974ta
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Mechaical Parts are okay. All other parts are almost never correct in fit and finish and yes interior parts are the worst.

I cannot tell you how many repro parts I have returned only to go and find NOS parts that fit perfect but even then you have to be careful. You may also have to take a home equity loan to purchase the NOS parts.

I can now appreciate how valuable a true low miliege survivor can be if you want a vette as close to original as possible.

I will say however that other than the soft interior parts, all the other original parts can be redone to perfection rather than buy crappy repros. My experiance with the soft interior parts is that you may be better off buying good used that may still be somewhat flexible and then take it to a good vinyl repair guy, have the vinyl/leather repaired and redyed and it always turns out better than a repro if you know who to go to.

I cannot belive that NCRS accepts these repro parts and gives full points. You can almost always tell the difference in the grain alone

Enough said!
Old 07-09-2004, 05:26 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

I think some of you are somewhat confused with the words "aftermarket" parts and "reproduction" parts. Aftermarket parts from NAPA, etc are fine.

BUT.....there are TONS of terrible, so called "reproduction" parts out there, which are truly only fair facimile's of the original. Many fit like boots on a rooster, AND.....if you have the real original part that you're replacing, and compare side by side to the so called "repro", many times you'll wonder if you got the right thing.

NCRS does NOT give full credit for these crummy repro's, and many owners get PO'ed because of it. Never having seen a real original part, they think that their repro is 100% correct.

I HONESTLY feel that vendors should quit using the word "reproduction" and use the description "sorta looks like/sorta fits like" the original.

I just spent $100.00 for a pair of so called "correct reproduction" windshield post weatherstrips for my original 63 roadster. I have the original weatherstrips. I should take a picture.....

Let's see....the repro's are about 1 full inch shorter in the door jamb, and what about the LARGE parting seam/mold line in the repro which isn't on the original. Chuck

Quick Reply: I've had it with after market parts!!!!!!!!!!