C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear gear change? Difficulty and parts needed.

Old 06-23-2004, 02:09 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear gear change? Difficulty and parts needed.

What is the degree of difficulty and approximate costs of changing the rear gear ratio in our cars? My current gear is 3.55 and I am thinking of switching to 3.90's.

Looking in the Jegs catalog they list this gear for $270, and a complete installation kit for $109. Is this a good price? Also, what would the labor be to have someone do this as i'm sure there are a few tools required I'd never use again. I could do it myself, what all is involved?

Also, are the Richmond gears the right brand? Any vendors here (Vansteel?)? I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks!

Old 06-23-2004, 08:47 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Rear gear change? Difficulty and parts needed. (gtr1999)

Gary I am beginning to feel that changing gears is difficult and beyond most peoples ability. While you and I have changed many sets we understand what is wanted. This is something that most mechanics don't understand and for a layman to attemp it he is getting in pretty deep.

I look at changing gears is about the same as setting up rear wheel bearing. Both are not hard IF you have the knowledge and the equipment.
The hardest part for a vet is pulling the rearend out, not changing the gearing. I did a mustang a few months ago and it took about 2 hours just because the rearend stays in.
If you want to save money, pull the rearend yourself and carry the carrier in to the shop and have them change it. As for bearings and seals I find the dealer stuf way overpriced and go with a local bearing shop.
If you decide to do it Gary and I would certainly try to help, Verbally that is. Gary has even more experience them me so I would read his posts first and just try to add something he overlooked.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:52 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Rear gear change? Difficulty and parts needed. (gtr1999)

gtr1999 Judging from your avatar I'd say your the man to talk too! Thanks for the info, I called a few places today and they didn't want to touch it, a familiarity with these cars. I think I could tackle it as I have the time and the patience. If I decided to that route I will have lots of questions, and yours, and Norval's help would be greatly appreciated.
I will look up the paper you wrote and get up to speed.

Norval I don't think its beyond my ability, but depending on the price of tools required I may be better off having someone do it. I have access to a Diesel mechanic's shop and my machinist is a good friend so locally I think I'll have the help I would need. Thanks again!

Old 06-24-2004, 06:51 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Rear gear change? Difficulty and parts needed. (VETDRMS)

Travis my 3.90's are Richmonds that I got from Jegs. I've had no problems at all with them and they're as quite as the stock gears that I removed. The biggest part as the others stated is removing the rear differential from the car. I had my gears swapped at a local shop called "Universal Joint, now Fleet Pride". I don't remember it being a lot of money. You may want to talk to a shop before ordering the install kit, because they may have all the parts there for less.

The biggest thing about mounting the gears is making sure you get a correct wear pattern and backlash.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:13 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Rear gear change? Difficulty and parts needed. (SmokedTires)

ive used all richmond gears for all my cars and never had any trouble with noise,im runnig 3.70 now,but have run 3.90.4.56,4.10,3.55.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:27 AM
MARKUS_P
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Rear gear change? Difficulty and parts needed. (SmokedTires)

The biggest thing about mounting the gears is making sure you get a correct wear pattern and backlash.
Just interested, I had mine done (setting the waer pattern) in a shop too.
How much play do you have if the driveshaft is blocked?
Speaking of rotating the wheels and marking the angle. (move car forward and backward)
It would be interesting to check if the shop did a good job or not since I´m not able to drive the car at the moment, and my feeling is that I have a little too much play, but thats just a feeling....

Get notified of new replies

To Rear gear change? Difficulty and parts needed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear gear change? Difficulty and parts needed.