C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank Sticker, do I remove the tank? Is it worth the trouble?

Old 06-21-2004, 05:47 PM
1972corvette454
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tank Sticker, do I remove the tank? Is it worth the trouble?

I own a 72 Corvette 454 Number matching car.
I removed the Gas tank lid door and rubber boot. I was able to see on the top of the gas tank (Passenger side) is a tank sticker, very dirty of course.
Do I have to remove the gas tank? I think so? Is it worth the trouble in removing the gas tank to access the tank sticker? Is it a gig job now in removing the gas tank? Suggestions please and thanks.
Vic
vadelsohn@cogeco.ca
Old 06-21-2004, 05:57 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Tank Sticker, do I remove the tank? Is it worth the trouble? (1972corvette454)

Removing the tank is fairly easy, just a little messy. The real problem is getting the sticker off/or even reading the info with out destroying it. It is your most valuble document and is worth the effort if you plan on restoring or reselling the car. If you are going to modify the car then don't worry about it.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:04 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tank Sticker, do I remove the tank? Is it worth the trouble? (Larry B.)

Mine's still up there. Basic rule of thumb. If it ain't broke don't fix it
I'll retrieve that paper when I have to fix the tank or remove it for some reason. Other than that it's been there for 37 years and it will be there tommorow. Your luck you'll go through all that work just to find an unreadible paper and tons of frame rust. I say leave it unless your losing sleep over it. My .02
Old 06-21-2004, 08:42 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Tank Sticker, do I remove the tank? Is it worth the trouble? (Cali,68,L-79)

If I knew I had a tank sticker on the tank I would lose sleep until I got it out and had a look. Might even be tempted to make a copy and put that back on the tank but I would carefully remove whatever is there and have a look. But that's just me. Apparently it is a personal preference type thing!
Old 06-21-2004, 08:51 PM
mstanton
Drifting

Default Re: Tank Sticker, do I remove the tank? Is it worth the trouble? (PRND21)

I removed the sticker from my 70 without dropping the tank and without damaging the sheet. If you remove the boot from around the filler neck there is a good bit of room. My tank sticker just had one big glob of glue in the middle and I was able to free it with a long screw driver and pull it out by hand. Be careful though. The sheet will probably be very fragile. If you can't get it out that way I'd drop the tank. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:44 PM
pra4sun
Racer

Default Re: Tank Sticker, do I remove the tank? Is it worth the trouble? (mstanton)

I basically did the same thing as mstanton, and it was well worth it. There's nothing like knowing how original your car is, and what came with it.

I used a spatula to free it up (one glob, same as above), then grabbed it with a pair of tongs. It was very fragile, but I got it out with only a small piece being torn off, which I retrieved without a problem.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:03 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Tank Sticker, do I remove the tank? Is it worth the trouble? (pra4sun)

Oh man, I would not attempt removing it without dropping the tank. You run a very high risk of ripping the thing to shreds!
Old 06-22-2004, 09:14 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default Re: Tank Sticker, do I remove the tank? Is it worth the trouble? (Chris@VetteFinders)

Oh man, I would not attempt removing it without dropping the tank. You run a very high risk of ripping the thing to shreds!
Old 06-22-2004, 10:03 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Tank Sticker, do I remove the tank? Is it worth the trouble? (Avette4me)

There's actually some debate among the NCRS guys about whether you should ever remove them at all. Once the sticker is removed, there's no way to prove it ever actually belonged to your particular car & isn't just something you picked up on ebay.

JB
Old 06-22-2004, 10:08 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Tank Sticker, do I remove the tank? Is it worth the trouble? (JB)

There's actually some debate among the NCRS guys about whether you should ever remove them at all. Once the sticker is removed, there's no way to prove it ever actually belonged to your particular car & isn't just something you picked up on ebay.

JB

I wasn't aware of that debate!! Pretty funny tho... somewhat existentialist, isn't it? Is it better to have a tank sticker where noone can see it, or to have it out where one may question it's reality??? Good point tho, if people are using the tank sticker to document their car... Obvious solution is to invite 5 expert witnesses and a notary public to the tank sticker removal party, then videotape the entire affair, and send notarized copies of the tape to the Library of Congress!
Old 06-22-2004, 10:26 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Tank Sticker, do I remove the tank? Is it worth the trouble? (PRND21)

I wasn't aware of that debate!! Pretty funny tho... somewhat existentialist, isn't it? Is it better to have a tank sticker where noone can see it, or to have it out where one may question it's reality??? Good point tho, if people are using the tank sticker to document their car... Obvious solution is to invite 5 expert witnesses and a notary public to the tank sticker removal party, then videotape the entire affair, and send notarized copies of the tape to the Library of Congress!
This is out of control!
Old 06-23-2004, 04:42 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: Tank Sticker, do I remove the tank? Is it worth the trouble? (Cali,68,L-79)

You're taking a real chance of destroying the sticker trying to pull it out. I would definitely drop the gas tank. Chuck
Old 06-23-2004, 08:55 AM
VTHokie77Vette
Racer

Default Re: Tank Sticker, do I remove the tank? Is it worth the trouble? (1972corvette454)

I just removed mine the other day without a problem and without dropping the tank. I just got under the car stuck my hand up there and very carefully pulled it off. Unfortunately for me, nothing on it can really be made out. It just looks like a dirty piece of paper.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:16 AM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

My sticker was already removed when I purchased the 72, but I would not hesitate one bit to drop the tank if I knew the the sticker was on top of the tank. It's a highly valued piece of documentation, so don't take risks with damaging it (already being a number of years old and fragile).
Old 06-23-2004, 10:57 AM
Todbo
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Tank Sticker, do I remove the tank? Is it worth the trouble? (SharkAttack)

I pulled my tank to see if it exsisted or just a nasty rumor , no sticker , 30 mins to get the tank out , 3 hrs to get the tank back in
Old 06-23-2004, 11:19 AM
Bob3943
Intermediate

Default Re: Tank Sticker, do I remove the tank? Is it worth the trouble? (Todbo)

I have a 78 and is there any way to see if it is there without pulling the tank? I pulled out the gas lid and boot and looked with a flash light, but didn't see anything. I just want to see if it is there.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 06-23-2004, 11:53 AM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default Re: Tank Sticker, do I remove the tank? Is it worth the trouble? (Bob3943)

I have a 78 and is there any way to see if it is there without pulling the tank? I pulled out the gas lid and boot and looked with a flash light, but didn't see anything. I just want to see if it is there.
With the spare tire holder removed, I could barely see mine from underneath at the front of the tank.

Get notified of new replies

To Tank Sticker, do I remove the tank? Is it worth the trouble?

Old 06-23-2004, 08:22 PM
pra4sun
Racer

Default Re: Tank Sticker, do I remove the tank? Is it worth the trouble? (JB)

JB
That could be a consideration if you are going the NCRS route. I wonder how many NCRS - certified cars actually have the sticker mounted, and do they check for it's existence when certifying?
Old 06-24-2004, 02:06 AM
mstanton
Drifting

Default Re: Tank Sticker, do I remove the tank? Is it worth the trouble? (pra4sun)

I don't think that NCRS checks for the sticker. Also, the stickers have a number hand written that corresponds with the last three of the VIN. I think that it would be pretty hard to fake a car with all the right options and a VIN with the same last three digits.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:40 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Tank Sticker, do I remove the tank? Is it worth the trouble? (mstanton)

I don't think that NCRS checks for the sticker. Also, the stickers have a number hand written that corresponds with the last three of the VIN. I think that it would be pretty hard to fake a car with all the right options and a VIN with the same last three digits.

NCRS does not check the sticker in any judging event. Now having said that if an owner presents a vehicle with a configuration atypical or rare...judges will ask to see documentation and a tank sticker is a form of documentation. An example is a 1973 with YJ8s!

Tank stickers with the last three digits of the VIN, this method was known to be used on tanks before 1972 and to date, I have yet to see a tank sticker (or build sheet), with the three digits written on a build sheet. By then (post 72), they taught assembly workers to type it on the build sheet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tank Sticker, do I remove the tank? Is it worth the trouble?