C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what's the deal with the outside mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 11:43 AM
Todbo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what's the deal with the outside mirror?

I broke the orig trying to tighten down the mirror , actually broke the set screw in two , so I bought a new mirror tried to install it over the weekend and it's doing the same thing anyone know whats going on?
Old 06-21-2004, 12:12 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: what's the deal with the outside mirror? (Todbo)

Are you missing the rubber basket between the mirror and the door ?
Maybe the rubber well-nuts that hold the bracket down have worn and
worked their way out ?

Old 06-21-2004, 01:37 PM
Todbo
Burning Brakes

Default Re: what's the deal with the outside mirror? (NHvette)

Are you missing the rubber basket between the mirror and the door ?
Maybe the rubber well-nuts that hold the bracket down have worn and
worked their way out ?

ok i've got a new gasket between the door and the mirror , but rubber well nuts are a new to me? that might be the problem , once again bubba put the car back together and had some "extra parts" left over
Old 06-21-2004, 07:51 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Todbo, the rubber well nuts are available at Ace Hardware and probably most auto parts stores. The are simply a rubber plug that is inserted into the holes in the door. They have a machine thread nut and when the screws holding the bracket are tightened in they expand similar to a drywall anchor. If the bracket is good and secure to the door already, you shouldn't need them. Try grinding a couple threads off the mirror to bracket mounting screw, often they bottom out in the threads before the mirror is actually tight.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:49 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

My mirror was not OEM. However, it attached about the same way as OEM. There was a tapered set screw that attached the mirror to the plate on the door. The set screw threads were too long. It bottomed out before the tapered part of the set screw would lock the mirror to the plate. I ground off the end of the treaded portion of the set screw and it is now tight.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:35 AM
Todbo
Burning Brakes

Default Re: what's the deal with the outside mirror? (Jim Shea)

thanks guys , my bracket is secure on the door , so it must be the allen set screw is too long , i'll grind some off that sucker
Old 06-22-2004, 10:56 AM
Burgundy 69
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been struggling with this exact problem since I bought my 69 three years ago. I have replaced the mirror, mounting hardware, rubber gasket, barrel nuts, everything. Although I was able to mount the gasket/mounting plate firmly to the door, once attached, the mirror flopped around.

Several weeks ago, I took the mirror off to examine the mounting plate/mirror connection. It occured to me that even with the set screw firmly in place, the mirror/plate connection was not tight and that I could move the mirror with a little effort. Then I had a brain storm. I had recently replaced the rubber seals on the doors (the hinge access panels) and I had kept the center section of the die cut gasket (with glue on one side). I made a template of the mounting bracket where the set screw passes through the plate, then cut two pieces from the rubber gasket and glued them on either side of the bracket (where the screw passes through). I pulled the mirror down over the mounting plate and the fit was very firm. I then removed the mirror and using a #11 exacto blade, I made an X in both rubber seals to allow the set screw to pass through the plate. I then pushed the mirror down onto the plate, and after some adjutments, found the hole and put the set screw in. It worked great! no more wiggling mirror. Although I would not hang from it, the rubber gaskets have completely solved the problem. Hope this helps.

Mark
Old 06-22-2004, 11:20 AM
Cowboybob
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: what's the deal with the outside mirror? (Burgundy 69)

New to the forum, but not to vettes. Had the same problem. Ditto to Burgandy 69. Only in my case I bought the mirrors (big face 75s) from Ecklers and, not knowing the mounting hardware came w/ them, bought the hardware from Doc Rebuild. Good thing I did since the mirror to body gasket was (chintzy) and thin while the gasket from the Doc was thick. That thickness made the the mirror tight. Also broke off the allen tie down...had to drill it out, retap and do again. Lotta work for a mirror but w/ the forest metallic green paint job, the car cried out for some CHROME!
Old 06-22-2004, 02:58 PM
Todbo
Burning Brakes

Default Re: what's the deal with the outside mirror? (Burgundy 69)

I have been struggling with this exact problem since I bought my 69 three years ago. I have replaced the mirror, mounting hardware, rubber gasket, barrel nuts, everything. Although I was able to mount the gasket/mounting plate firmly to the door, once attached, the mirror flopped around.

Several weeks ago, I took the mirror off to examine the mounting plate/mirror connection. It occured to me that even with the set screw firmly in place, the mirror/plate connection was not tight and that I could move the mirror with a little effort. Then I had a brain storm. I had recently replaced the rubber seals on the doors (the hinge access panels) and I had kept the center section of the die cut gasket (with glue on one side). I made a template of the mounting bracket where the set screw passes through the plate, then cut two pieces from the rubber gasket and glued them on either side of the bracket (where the screw passes through). I pulled the mirror down over the mounting plate and the fit was very firm. I then removed the mirror and using a #11 exacto blade, I made an X in both rubber seals to allow the set screw to pass through the plate. I then pushed the mirror down onto the plate, and after some adjutments, found the hole and put the set screw in. It worked great! no more wiggling mirror. Although I would not hang from it, the rubber gaskets have completely solved the problem. Hope this helps.

Mark
I'm like you mark , the fit between the mirror and the bracket sucks , thats a good idea filling in the difference with a homemade gasket
Old 06-30-2004, 01:20 PM
Todbo
Burning Brakes

Default Re: what's the deal with the outside mirror? (Jim Shea)

My mirror was not OEM. However, it attached about the same way as OEM. There was a tapered set screw that attached the mirror to the plate on the door. The set screw threads were too long. It bottomed out before the tapered part of the set screw would lock the mirror to the plate. I ground off the end of the treaded portion of the set screw and it is now tight.
jim that fixed it
Old 06-30-2004, 01:36 PM
69L68
Racer

Well you answered one of my future questions.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 06-30-2004, 02:48 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: what's the deal with the outside mirror? (69L68)

Well you answered one of my future questions.

Thanks,
Steve
Me too! Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To what's the deal with the outside mirror?

Quick Reply: what's the deal with the outside mirror?