C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 rack and pinion into a C3

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 09:47 AM
Aussierock
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 rack and pinion into a C3

Considering a C4 rack for my C3 big Block Coupe
anyone tried and won?
appreciate the feedback

cheers

Rocky
Australia
Old 06-20-2004, 11:02 AM
spikezz4
Pro

Default Re: C4 rack and pinion into a C3 (Aussierock)

Yes. We engineered and fabricated an '85 rack into the front cross member and completed the steering stalk down to it. It forced us to move the brake calipers for clearance, and a new front stabilizer bar to custom fit. It worked, but needed a plate for protection, since it was exposed to any road trash.

We have since switched the car for a full 1985 C4 suspension with coil overs. Doing this sooner would have eliminated over 7 months of build time.

Spike
Old 06-20-2004, 01:55 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Default Re: C4 rack and pinion into a C3 (spikezz4)

I'm in the process of doing a similar C4 suspension installation. Just for kicks, how did you deal with the differences in C3/C4 track width or bumpsteer issues with this suspension change?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-20-2004, 03:07 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: C4 rack and pinion into a C3 (69427)

a C4 rack is much too wide for the relatively narrow a arm spacing on the C3. I think the C4 rack is somewhere around 21" from pivot to pivot (a 10,5x10,5 rack) and the C3 needs something in the range of 17". This will give serious issues with bumpsteer because it's an end take off rack and you can not alter the pivot points like you can on a center take off by isntalling a new mounting plate.

Do you have pics of how you had the C4 rack set up w/ the stock suspension?
Old 06-20-2004, 04:28 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: C4 rack and pinion into a C3 (Twin_Turbo)

TT is correct, it will not work with stockish C3 suspension, or much of any other either....I suspect....as I remember trying various rear steer racks with ETO , and could find NONE with the throw or length requirements....

NOW having said that, since I did my own variation of the Steeroids setup, I have found that circle track cars have racks with the requisite throw and a length that permits easy tie rod length tie in to the stock suspension....
they only about 350 bux or so too.....second off, the rest of the parts are relatively cheap....

so in retrospect from what I seen down the street at a circle track shop, I wish I had known of them some 3 ++ years ago, I would have done the power assist version of those racks, and had over with it....

but of course rebuilt racks and so forth are not so easy to come by as a '92 grand am rack...an off/shelf item....

GENE
Old 06-20-2004, 11:19 PM
corvettemaster
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i was thinking about putting rack and pinion on my 81 sometime this summer. the steeroids kit looks nice...but it's kind of pricey. the kit includes the following:

-Rack and pinion
-Adapter brackets
-Tie rod ends (Self cleaning & lubricating, teflon lined).
-U-joint assembly
-Power steering hoses
-Misc. fasteners (grade-8)
http://www.speeddirect.com/index.aspx?nodeID=24
Old 06-21-2004, 09:18 PM
MrForce
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11, '14

Default Re: C4 rack and pinion into a C3 (mrvette)

New to the forum. Looking for advice on doing the rack and pinion conversion. Is the 1992 Grand Am unit still the way to go? Is there a parts list and/or any plans or drawings? Thanks
Old 06-21-2004, 09:27 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: C4 rack and pinion into a C3 (MrForce)

There is another alternative that does not rely on the flimsy brackets that the rack and pinion does. The Corvette Steering Service conversion box has been run sucessfully in vintage racing Corvettes and does not require major modifications to your car (wont ever contact the lower A arm of the suspension. I am going to try one of these conversions, I wouldn't touch the Steeriods set-up with 20ft pole! Here is the link to Corvette Steering Service: http://www.corvettesteering.com/55-57%20chevy.htm
Page down to the 66 Vette photos.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:45 PM
RHD '68 L89
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Rocky,
I believe you are leaving your Vette LHD, right?
I did a rack conversion to mine when I re-did the conversion to RHD.
If your Vette is already RHD the steeroids and any other kit for LHD will require major mods to work RHD ie: probably won't work.
There are a few Rack RHD vettes out there. Just ask at your club.
The biggest problem with a rack is finding one short enough to work with the C3 track width and still having enough travel to get full lock to lock. I got around that by shortening the steering arms.
For a LHD you will have to find a front steer RHD rack which fits the dimensions of the C3.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:11 PM
C3C4Z
Heel & Toe

I tried putting a rack n pinion set up and it was dangerous with my homemade set-up, so before steeroids came around I decided to put a complete C4 front Suspension in my car since I was doing a frame off with a different year frame.
It turned out great, I cut the frame just in front of the engine mounts and welded in a complete C4 front frame section. I then installed the complete front Suspension and K member, etc...
It is really solid and really fun!!!
Not for the faint of heart!!!
I have a degree in welding and did a lot of research before I tackled it.
Good Luck
Old 06-24-2004, 12:01 AM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: C4 rack and pinion into a C3 (Solid LT1)

Solid LT1, what is wrong with the steeroids r&p??
Old 06-24-2004, 12:13 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Default Re: C4 rack and pinion into a C3 (C3C4Z)

Very interesting. Just for kicks, did you have any interference issues between the rack and the radiator/fan, and connecting up the steering column to the rack?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-24-2004, 05:23 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: C4 rack and pinion into a C3 (lostpatrolman)

Solid LT1, what is wrong with the steeroids r&p??

I've heard that the rack from a Saab 900 is about the right size. Don't know how accurate that info is, but it's something that I'll get around to checking out someday, unless somebody here knows better....
Old 06-24-2004, 08:29 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: C4 rack and pinion into a C3 (UKPaul)

The Saab and the Opel T car have RHD versions of the Saginaw center-take-off rack and pinion gear.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:12 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: C4 rack and pinion into a C3 (MrForce)

There are plans on the forum. It is simular to the steeroids setup but uses a different center bracket and different angles.
It also might not clear your headers / clutch linkage.

(checkout CorvetteFAQ.com. Might be easier to find the links.

If all else fails I do have the drawings, but you'd be missing out on a LOT of discussion...

New to the forum. Looking for advice on doing the rack and pinion conversion. Is the 1992 Grand Am unit still the way to go? Is there a parts list and/or any plans or drawings? Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To C4 rack and pinion into a C3

Quick Reply: C4 rack and pinion into a C3